Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan modification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Loan modification

During some difficult times a few years ago I was behind own my second mortgage my lender sent me an offer to modify the loan. 14.5% to 5% and more than half the payment. At that time I would have accepted new terms from Tony Soprano if it increased my cash flow. Well now I found out it states on my credit report that "loan modified " and it is the only stopping me from being approved for another home loan. Does anyone know how long this will be on my report or have any suggestions to get it removed? Can I offer to go back to the original terms if they remove it? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Loan modification

Has a current mortgage lendor actually told you that your modification of the terms of that loan is an adverse item in their approval?

If so, whether it is removed now or not, it looks like the deal with them might be dead?

So I guess the concern is moving on to a new mortgage lendor, and not having them become aware of your renegotiation?

Since the second mortgagee reported the comment, they are the one to remove it.  I would not take the extreme step of going back to the orginal loan terms as an offered condition for removal of that comment.  Make a good-will request only for removal of that comment.  I see no business disadvantage of their removal, particulary if you have a decent period of continuing to meet the terms of that loan after their modification.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct. My fear is that all lenders will look at the "loan modification" the same. I did contact them on the phone and ask to have it removed and they said they are required by the Fair credit reporting act to list the loan as modified. They also could not tell me how long it will be listed as so. Do you think a GW letter would help or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Message 3 of 4
Plumb2eat

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct. My fear is that all lenders will look at the "loan modification" the same. I did contact them on the phone and ask to have it removed and they said they are required by the Fair credit reporting act to list the loan as modified. They also could not tell me how long it will be listed as so. Do you think a GW letter would help or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Bdiers: I am in the same boat. My modification process took almost a year to complete, the whole time I was being put farther into arrears that i was unaware of. Since the process closed my mortgage has been transferred to another servicer, but the arears still show on my report, which i was told wouldn't happen. So much for the bank "helping" us out, they hurt more than anything. Anyways, I am just getting ready to GW the original lender to see if they will delete the TL or at least change the arears.

Good luck

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 550
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.