Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loans after a divorce

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Loans after a divorce

I went through a divorce a few years back and am currently trying to repair my credit. One of the biggest issues is I have 5 entries on my credit report - 3 for defaulted loans and 2 for collections that resulted after the divorce.

I have a divorce decree that states the ex is solely responsible for those loans, and was advised by a mortgage broker to try to get them deleted on those grounds. I sent that to the credit bureaus along with a dispute. I've been told I'm probably covered on the loans themselves, but what about the resulting collections actions?

If my dispute doesn't work, do I have any next steps?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Loans after a divorce

@Anonymous wrote:

I went through a divorce a few years back and am currently trying to repair my credit. One of the biggest issues is I have 5 entries on my credit report - 3 for defaulted loans and 2 for collections that resulted after the divorce.

I have a divorce decree that states the ex is solely responsible for those loans, and was advised by a mortgage broker to try to get them deleted on those grounds. I sent that to the credit bureaus along with a dispute. I've been told I'm probably covered on the loans themselves, but what about the resulting collections actions?

If my dispute doesn't work, do I have any next steps?

Unfortunately a divorce decree is only binding on the divorced couple, not their creditors. They have no obligation to not pursue whoever they feel is most likely to pay up. They may choose to solely pursue him for the debt, and they may not.

If the dispute does not work then you have the same options we all do - PFD, Settlement, GW.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Unfortunately a divorce decree is only binding on the divorced couple, not their creditors. They have no obligation to not pursue whoever they feel is most likely to pay up. They may choose to solely pursue him for the debt, and they may not.
If the dispute does not work then you have the same options we all do - PFD, Settlement, GW.

Thanks for the reply.

All the loans have since been paid off. The collections accounts are marked paid in settlement, and there's no outstanding collections activity for any of it. It's just 5 derogatories. I have 16 in full, and 7 of the other 11 are a direct result of the divorce. I'm slowly but surely getting things cleaned up, and these 5 are a prime target.

Transunion has an option to delete due to a divorce, which made me think there could be some legitimacy to the suggestion.

If they aren't deleted, then, my best option is a GW?

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

All the loans have since been paid off. The collections accounts are marked paid in settlement, and there's no outstanding collections activity for any of it. It's just 5 derogatories. I have 16 in full, and 7 of the other 11 are a direct result of the divorce. I'm slowly but surely getting things cleaned up, and these 5 are a prime target.

Transunion has an option to delete due to a divorce, which made me think there could be some legitimacy to the suggestion.

If they aren't deleted, then, my best option is a GW?

If the CAs are paid you should send a GW letter to them,    http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.