cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long-but need advice, items on CR not my husbands.

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Long-but need advice, items on CR not my husbands.

In around October 2011, we disputed several medical bills on my husbands CR, and a couple other collections, one for AFNI for Directv that was actually his dads, him and his dad have the same first and last name but different middle names, and until 5 years ago lived at the same address. It took him actually calling the CRA to get that AFNI/Directv thing taken off, and the medical bills came off with no problem. There is also a verizon home phone bill in collections with AFNI on his CR we disputed that is his dad's and a verizon wireless bill with Midland that is also his dads. What is fishy to me, is with the Directv account, they have to run your credit to approve you for service so they need your social, and they had my husbands social, so that's why there was such an issue getting it off. The rep he spoke with was telling him they have his social, its not like its a service like a home phone you can get without giving your social, and he's like yea, well my dads capital one cc showed up on my CR, his auto loan showed up (which caused us to not be able to get a car for a long time because it appeard like he already had an auto loan and he didnt), so it's not the first and only thing that has been on my cr under my social that was actually my dads. I guess the rep he spoke with went back and looked that up and saw it so the AFNI/Directv was removed. So now we have this verizon home phone acct for $291, with AFNI, that is due to fall off sometime between now and may, and it has been disputed before, but I feel like it should be gone with a $0 balance, or as if he never owed it because it isn't his debt, not just deleted from his file has an unpaid collection that is outside of the CRTP. Same with the verizon wireless, it's with midland and he owes $806, but it was his dads, not his, we disputed that one too. There is also a credit protection assoc. collection with bright house networks for $251 from august 2008, he didn't dispute, cause it's actually his so its not like he's disputing things that are really his. I just don't understand why they don't realize it's happened several times before and they don't remove the stuff!! So what should he do? Should he call the CRA again and tell them those are his dads accounts? I mean one is falling off in a couple months, the other is falling off 3/2014, but we're wanting to buy a house pretty soon (within the next 8 months) and this is not fair that he has to deal with his dads collections. There are even 2-3 addresses on his CR that are addresses of his dads and my husband never lived at those addresses with his dad. Since we haven't lived with his parents (its been 6 years now) nothing of his dads has shown up on his CR. So I'm guessing it was because they have the same name, and same address. And as far as the directv goes, I wouldn't be surprised if his mom didn't actually get it in my husbands name because they had a bankruptcy on their report and they probably needed a deposit for the directv, but that one was taken off so i'm not worried about it anymore.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Re: Long-but need advice, items on CR not my husbands.

Anyone?? I'd really like some advice before paying collections that don't belong to us :/

Message 2 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If they are his dad's, they both need to send in ID to the CRAs and ask that those TLs be deleted from his CR.  Send a copy of the CR with the TLs showing on his report.

Message 3 of 21
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

His identity wasn't stolen, they just reported it to his report instead of his dads, or it may be on his dads too, I dont know. 

Message 4 of 21
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

If they are his dad's, they both need to send in ID to the CRAs and ask that those TLs be deleted from his CR.  Send a copy of the CR with the TLs showing on his report.

Yea, thats not gonna happen lol I don't think these items are reporting on his dads credit, so he's not gonna let us send in his ID for items that showed up on my husbands report that actually belong to him. I don't know if they are on his dad's report as well or not. But he def isn't gonna go for that.

Message 5 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I know.  I reanswered the question.  Him and his dad need to send each of their IDs along with the CR showing the TLs that belong to his dad and ask the CRA to remove them.  I would also send it to the CAs.

Does his dad have a Sr or something attached to his name?

Then if his dad won't your husband needs to at least try.

Message 6 of 21
madmann26
Valued Contributor

This happens often when an account is sent/sold to a CA, then the CA reports the account to the CRA's with nothing more then a name.

The CRA's then do a best guess match. It sucks. It can get removed but it will take come work.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 21
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Also the verizon wireless is obvioulsy under my husbands social, cause they wouldve had to pull a CR to approve service. But as I stated, there have been several occassions where something that was obtained under his dads name and social still showed up on my husbands CR with his social and everything.

Message 8 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Not necessarily.  As the other poster stated, sometimes the CRA just do a best match if no SS was sent in with the collection.

Message 9 of 21
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:

This happens often when an account is sent/sold to a CA, then the CA reports the account to the CRA's with nothing more then a name.

The CRA's then do a best guess match. It sucks. It can get removed but it will take come work.

We're willing to do the work, we just need to know what to do. We disuted them, and when my husband called to discuss the disputes and the accounts he only got as far as the directv one and it was removed, and she also went ahead and removed the capital one card and something else that was on there, just can't remember what, but we didn't see it on his report, but she saw it for some reason.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.