Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time reader, first time poster about PFD and DV

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Long time reader, first time poster about PFD and DV

Hello everyone, first off thank you all for opening my eyes to this, as I am now looking to start taking back control of my credit. Upon lookintg at my credit reports I saw an outstanding balanace in collections of $600. I called to question what this medical bill was from and they told me a date and hospital. I called said hostpital and they have no record of me being there and the collection agency said "well, its from a group of physicians.." I asked them to send me debt validation and they told me "we sent that back in June and we cannot and will not send it again, the debt is valid because its under your name and social"... which seems strange to me. I asked about PFD and they sent me a PFD via EMail on their letterhead offering a PFD in the amount of $390 and they would contact all credit bureaus to delete teh referenced account. However, I am not willing to pay that much for an account I cant get information on; especially since I did not live in the state at the time. What course of action should I be taking?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Long time reader, first time poster about PFD and DV

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, first off thank you all for opening my eyes to this, as I am now looking to start taking back control of my credit. Upon lookintg at my credit reports I saw an outstanding balanace in collections of $600. I called to question what this medical bill was from and they told me a date and hospital. I called said hostpital and they have no record of me being there and the collection agency said "well, its from a group of physicians.." I asked them to send me debt validation and they told me "we sent that back in June and we cannot and will not send it again, the debt is valid because its under your name and social"... which seems strange to me. I asked about PFD and they sent me a PFD via EMail on their letterhead offering a PFD in the amount of $390 and they would contact all credit bureaus to delete teh referenced account. However, I am not willing to pay that much for an account I cant get information on; especially since I did not live in the state at the time. What course of action should I be taking?

If I were you I would already be at my local Court House filing a FDCPA and FCRA suit against them - just on principle, but alleging failure to Validate and Misreporting and misrepresenting the character of the debt. If they won't prove you owe it when you ask nicely, make them prove it to a Judge.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, they basically said their company only validates one time and they wouldnt send it again and that the debt is valid it has my name and social security number and beacuse its medical it isnt like a credit card debt a dispute isnt removing it so go ahead... they sent me an "itemized" receipt of it via email and everything was blank under "prodedure done" or just 000 for account number, and no doctor name or anything.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, they basically said their company only validates one time and they wouldnt send it again and that the debt is valid it has my name and social security number and beacuse its medical it isnt like a credit card debt a dispute isnt removing it so go ahead... they sent me an "itemized" receipt of it via email and everything was blank under "prodedure done" or just 000 for account number, and no doctor name or anything.

So their position is "We don't care if it's your debt or not, we have your name so pay it"? I have a bill on my desk for a million dollars with their name on it. When do they cut me a check?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats what I said! I was like so... just because my name is on it I should blindly pay it? They did offer a PFD, but regardless.. They told me to contact the hospital my self, its not their job to prove the debt is not mine, its my job to prove it...

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and I bet in a few days they remove the account.  I filed on the weekend and the collector deleted the account the very next Wednesday!  

Message 6 of 7
wallstreet177
Contributor

100% agree with soloman.  They don't sound legit at all from the info you are giving. CFPB has been very helpful for me to get invalid items off my report.  Just file a complaint with them explaining the entire situation and how they have been uncooperative in validating.  They will most likely prove helpful.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.