Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking To Increase My Score

tag
Tmac7631
New Contributor

Looking To Increase My Score

As you can see in my sig my score is not great. I am wondering if my score is ever going to go up. The thing that is hurting me the most is a 90 day late in Dec 2010 on my Nelnet student loans. I moved and they never sent me any paperwork saying my loans went out of deferemnt after I graduated. I tried getting them to remove the lates and they will not budge. I have had probably at least 7 or 8 collection accounts removed in the past 2 months across all 3 of my reports. I currently have only one credit card and never been late for 14 months now. My utilization is high right now at about 70% and will have this card payed off in March or April. Will I see a significant jump in my score paying my utilization down to a 0 balance or will the 90 day late sting my score for a long time?

Starting Score: CK 680/ TU FICO 640/ 684 Credit Sesame
Current Score: CK 680/ June 2011 TU 640 FICO/ 684 Credit Sesame
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking To Increase My Score

Your 90 day late will sting for a long time.

That doesn't mean that paying down your utilization won't help - it's worth 30% of your score.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Tmac7631
New Contributor

Thanks Mauve. Yeah I figured that 90 day late will sting me for a long time. If it was not for those stupid school loans I would be in much better shape right now. I will try and pay my card off this month and see what kind of jump I get out of that.

Message 3 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with mauve that even with that recent 90 day late getting that utilization down will help you. How much it will help is very hard to say.

Don't give up on trying to get that 90 day late removed. It's considered a major derogatory and will remain so for many years. Late payments can report for up to 7 years from the individual date of delinquency so I would concentrate on this.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 9
Tmac7631
New Contributor

Yeah I have tried to get the 90 day late removed. I tried at least 5 times now and they say it is reporting correctly and they can't change it. Would there be any chance that they could backdate my forbearance to cover the 90 day late? I asked them why they never sent me any letters saying my deferment ended and they reply with nothing. I never even knew they serviced my loans until late November of last year. I am just going to conslidate all my loans through direct loans and be done with it all. I am going to try and find the CEO of Nelnet or some higher ups and write some goodwill letters and see what happens.

Message 5 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Tmac7631 wrote:

Yeah I have tried to get the 90 day late removed. I tried at least 5 times now and they say it is reporting correctly and they can't change it. Would there be any chance that they could backdate my forbearance to cover the 90 day late? I asked them why they never sent me any letters saying my deferment ended and they reply with nothing. I never even knew they serviced my loans until late November of last year. I am just going to conslidate all my loans through direct loans and be done with it all. I am going to try and find the CEO of Nelnet or some higher ups and write some goodwill letters and see what happens.

I know just enough about student loans to make me dangerous.  Smiley Happy

There are some pretty sharp folks who frequent the SL board. Would you like me to move this thread over there? It's no problem if you think you'd get more answers about SL's there.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 9
Tmac7631
New Contributor

Thanks marinevet. I will just call Nelnet and ask them about it. Knowing them their answers are always no half the time. They are probably the worst when it comes to school loans from what I have read on the internet. I will probably end up being stuck with this derogotary for many years to come the way it looks. Hopefully in the coming months I can find a reasonable person on the other end of the phone line.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your situation sounds exactly like mine. My family moved and our loan became due and we fell 120 days behind. See my post in the Student Loan section. My loan was through ECSI. I contacted them via their website and the next day I had an email back saying they couldn't just remove the late, but that we could file for forbearance and they could backdate it to cover the lates and have them removed. This gives them a legitimate reason to remove the lates as opposed to just a "Good Will" removal. I submitted my info for the forbearance and it was approved, and both the person at ECSI and my school loan rep have assured me that the lates will be taken off. Now I am just hoping they are correct. As of yesterday they were still there, but they did say it could take til the end of March.
Message 8 of 9
Tmac7631
New Contributor

Hey buckley. good luck on that. These school loans have been a real pain to find out who has the account and if it has been transferred to another lender. I sent Nelnet an email yesterday about seeing about getting my forbearance backdated to cover up that 90 day late. I am waiting anxiously to see if I can get a better outcome than before.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.