Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on how to handle two accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for advice on how to handle two accounts

So after doing nothing more than lurking on the forums for some time I decided to try and clean up a couple of items on my reports and was hoping to get some advice as to how to proceed.

The first is a account that is in collection with Cavalry Portfolio Services.  It is showing on my reports that it was placed for collection in Oct. 2012 and the original creditor is HSBC Bank Nevada.  The balance is for $672.  It also next to that says (banking).  I am not sure if that means they are claiming it is a bank account or not but I never had an account like that with HSBC.  I do know that the SOL is still active on this debt though and I was afraid of poking the bear if this is somehow linked back to me.  Is my first step to send a DV letter to the collection agency or how should I proceed?

The second is an unpaid charge off with a First Premier Bank Credit Card.  The DOFD is 07/2011 and it is showing as a unpaid charge off on my report.  I did get a settlement offer letter from a collection agency called First National Collection Bureau, Inc but they are not showing on any of my credit reports.  The SOL is still alive and well on this debt so I am unsure what if anything I should do about this one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for advice on how to handle two accounts

@Anonymous wrote:

So after doing nothing more than lurking on the forums for some time I decided to try and clean up a couple of items on my reports and was hoping to get some advice as to how to proceed.

The first is a account that is in collection with Cavalry Portfolio Services.  It is showing on my reports that it was placed for collection in Oct. 2012 and the original creditor is HSBC Bank Nevada.  The balance is for $672.  It also next to that says (banking).  I am not sure if that means they are claiming it is a bank account or not but I never had an account like that with HSBC.  I do know that the SOL is still active on this debt though and I was afraid of poking the bear if this is somehow linked back to me.  Is my first step to send a DV letter to the collection agency or how should I proceed?

The second is an unpaid charge off with a First Premier Bank Credit Card.  The DOFD is 07/2011 and it is showing as a unpaid charge off on my report.  I did get a settlement offer letter from a collection agency called First National Collection Bureau, Inc but they are not showing on any of my credit reports.  The SOL is still alive and well on this debt so I am unsure what if anything I should do about this one. If you can get that second collection from First National Collection Bureau paid in full and in agreement to not report or (Pay for not reporting) I say jump on it or maybe try to get First Premier to retract collection authority and pay them exclusively.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Account 1:

Did the debt collector send prior dunning notice?  If so,, when.

Do you dispute the legitimacy of the debt?

Account 2:

If the debt is legit, then you may wish to counter with acceptance of their settlement offer provided they agree not to report their collection.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account 1:

I don't recall ever getting anything from them.  I did not find anything in my files.  I have not disputed the debt as of yet.

Account 2:

Could this come back to bite me if I responded with such a letter stating I accept their offer in return for their agreement not to report?  Would I dispute anything with First Premier after the collection is paid off or would I be stuck with that on the report until it falls off?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.