Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on rebuilding

tag
falcon7xx
Contributor

Looking for advice on rebuilding

About a year ago I had a business go under. I was in very bad debt and had a lot of credit card debt. I got a job this year and ended up settling most of my debt with my credit card companies. Also had some medical bills that were on my credit report. Everyone has been settled out and paid off. Tonight I went to apply for a cap one secured card and got rejected probably because capital one settled with me. What would be my best bet on tackling this and growing my credit back. Currently CK shows my credit at 609 for trans and 589 for Equifax.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for advice on rebuilding

35% of your score is making payments on time so... make sure you are doing that for sure!

30% of your score is Amount of Debt. Get your Utilization LOW. Under 9% aggregate.

What are all your credit card balances in relation to your limits? 

Like 500 out of 1000 and 250 out of 300 is 750 out of 1300 for 58%... which is bad.

We can help more if we know those numbers

Message 2 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Cap One will let you back in.

Keep checking the prequal site.

Time heals all wounds.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 6
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Go to credit check total and get all three FICO scores and your current credit reports for $1 and cancel the subscription the next day. You need to know where you are starting at and CK is great for watching your credit reports but absolutely crap for a true credit score. You might actually be higher or lower than what CK says. (my FICO scores are 20-25 points higher than the vantage score CK shows). 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@falcon7xx wrote:
About a year ago I had a business go under. I was in very bad debt and had a lot of credit card debt. I got a job this year and ended up settling most of my debt with my credit card companies. Also had some medical bills that were on my credit report. Everyone has been settled out and paid off. Tonight I went to apply for a cap one secured card and got rejected probably because capital one settled with me. What would be my best bet on tackling this and growing my credit back. Currently CK shows my credit at 609 for trans and 589 for Equifax.

Was the Cap One account charged off before you settled? They have a 12 month "blackout" after a charge off.

Message 5 of 6
me12345
Frequent Contributor

www.creditbuildercard.com/nova - This website offers a secured card with an interest rate at 19% and the annual fee is $29 and NO credit check...

VA & FHA down to 550...
Licensed Senior Mortgage Loan Officer in the states of Arizona & California
Specializing in VA, FHA, USDA & Conventional loans. My company is also licensed in 12 states, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah,
Alaska, New Mexico, Texas, Illinois and Florida
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.