Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice

tag
clevercandle
Established Member

Looking for advice

I am looking for advice on what to do next. I have been making good progress, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Background Info: Current job 8.5 years, credit score from Fifth Third Identity Alert Experian - 653 / Equifax - 603 / TransUnion - 604

Credit Cards:

Fingerhut opened 12/12 Limit $550 balance $383

Matrix Discover opened 11/12 Limit $300 balance $120

Credit One Visa opened 5/13 Limit $300 balance $175 

Brylane Homes opened 5/13 Limit $300 balance $90

Victoria Secret opened 5/13 Limit $500 balance $20

First Premier Master Card opened 5/13 Limit $300 balance $45

Credit Pulls: Experian 9 in 12 months Equifax 7 in 12 months Transunion 7 in 12 months

Baddies: 2 medical bills around $500 each one 3/13 the other 11/12 these are not mine 100% disputed but was not removed. A returned check from 2006 that will fall off in October. 2 paid collections 1 was medical the other the cable company. Old bank account $500 owed from 4/2009

I know my balances seem high but I normally pay whatever I charge minus $20 or $30 every month. I will have them all at zero by August. I do not really want to use the First Premier Mast Card it is 36% APR, and the Matrix is 30% APR. I really want a card with a good interest rate and a decent credit limit. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

>
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Melanie220
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for advice

Have you sent gw letter to the two paid collections? If the medical collections aren't yours you need to send a debt validation letter certified mail return receipt requested. You can google debt validation letters and use one of the samples online. And of course pay your cc UTI down. Pretty sure you'll see a good increase when the balances go down more.

Mel
Message 2 of 7
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Not seeing a cap one in the mix, OP. Their basic starter cards are much better than anything on your list at the moment. Starting point, once you can get the utilization down, and reporting as such.

Message 3 of 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@clevercandle wrote:

I am looking for advice on what to do next. I have been making good progress, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Background Info: Current job 8.5 years, credit score from Fifth Third Identity Alert Experian - 653 / Equifax - 603 / TransUnion - 604

Credit Cards:

Fingerhut opened 12/12 Limit $550 balance $383

Matrix Discover opened 11/12 Limit $300 balance $120

Credit One Visa opened 5/13 Limit $300 balance $175 

Brylane Homes opened 5/13 Limit $300 balance $90

Victoria Secret opened 5/13 Limit $500 balance $20

First Premier Master Card opened 5/13 Limit $300 balance $45

Credit Pulls: Experian 9 in 12 months Equifax 7 in 12 months Transunion 7 in 12 months

Baddies: 2 medical bills around $500 each one 3/13 the other 11/12 these are not mine 100% disputed but was not removed. A returned check from 2006 that will fall off in October. 2 paid collections 1 was medical the other the cable company. Old bank account $500 owed from 4/2009

I know my balances seem high but I normally pay whatever I charge minus $20 or $30 every month. I will have them all at zero by August. I do not really want to use the First Premier Mast Card it is 36% APR, and the Matrix is 30% APR. I really want a card with a good interest rate and a decent credit limit. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

What you pay every month on a credit card means nothing in scoring terms. The only thing that matters is the reported balances. So I am seeing a 37% util percentage... you can tweak that down. Make sure you report less than 10 percent a month, and you will increase your scores decently from 37% to less than 10%.

These two medical bills, are they collections? What do you mean they 'are not mine?' - Same name? No Idea? You should send a DV on those.

Send GWs on thoses paid collections.

The medical ones are killing you, they are both less than a year old. If they aren't yours, send a DV. Find out what they are

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 7
clevercandle
Established Member

Thank you I have not sent a GW but I will and the medical collections I will start working on.

>
Message 5 of 7
clevercandle
Established Member

I would love to have Cap 1 but 12 or 13 years ago I had a card that I defaulted on, and then several years after that they sent me a special offer to have a new card and a reduced balance was already on it to settle the old account and I defaulted on that one also. I applied but was denied, do you think I should call and speak to someone?

>
Message 6 of 7
clevercandle
Established Member

Thank you for the advice, I have not been to the hospital since 2009 and I paid the bill before it went to collection. I have a unique situation, a lady who lives in my same town and I share the same name, same middle name and everything, and our birthdays are the same. I have had so many problems because of this. 

>
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.