Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some help on a couple issues

tag
Matt6995
Regular Contributor

Looking for some help on a couple issues

I am obviously one of the newer devotees of this site but spend hours every day here. Wife said I need counseling but that is another thread.

Have been working on my credit and have had 3 negatives deleted so far and one pending.

I had tried looking this up and would not be surprised if the answers were already somewhere on this site but I could not find my exact scenario.

First, received a notice today from a medical services company stating in bold type "Your account is 30 days past due." (All bold type is from CA)

They go on to say "based on the information we have on file for your account, we show that the outstanding balance of $309.69 is your responsibility."

"Your account is now in our collections department. You must take action now or your account will be referred to an outside collection agency. Please pay in full or call immediately to prevent this action."

Letter was signed:

Sincerely,

Collections Dept of So and So Healthcare Company.

What are the standards, if any, for an internal collection department? I have not been to a Doctor or Hospital in over 2 years but this says my account now 30 days past due. Does not make sense to me with the 30 days and over $300. Am I able to send DV just like they are 3rd party collection agency or use different approach?

Second, A letter from a CA stating returning debt to OC means they need to remove record or no?

Thanks to everyone for the help. You folks are an inspiration.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for some help on a couple issues

@Matt6995 wrote:

I am obviously one of the newer devotees of this site but spend hours every day here. Wife said I need counseling but that is another thread.

Have been working on my credit and have had 3 negatives deleted so far and one pending.

I had tried looking this up and would not be surprised if the answers were already somewhere on this site but I could not find my exact scenario.

First, received a notice today from a medical services company stating in bold type "Your account is 30 days past due." (All bold type is from CA)

They go on to say "based on the information we have on file for your account, we show that the outstanding balance of $309.69 is your responsibility."

"Your account is now in our collections department. You must take action now or your account will be referred to an outside collection agency. Please pay in full or call immediately to prevent this action."

Letter was signed:

Sincerely,

What are the standards, if any, for an internal collection department? would vary with every company policy.... safe bet over 30 up to180 days though I have not been to a Doctor or Hospital in over 2 years but this says my account now 30 days past due call and insure its not a mistake. Does not make sense to me with the 30 days and over $300. Am I able to send DV just like they are 3rd party collection agency or use different approach? no, DV is only for CA...the internal collections dept is still within the OC

Second, A letter from a CA stating returning debt to OC means they need to remove record or no? only if 3rd party (CA 1 bought from OC, CA 2 bought from CA 1)...gotta be careful with the "factoring companies" being sneaky on that one though. not naming any names of course *cough*MID*cough*LA*cough*ND...

Message 2 of 14
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@Crossdivided wrote:

@Matt6995 wrote:

Letter was signed:

Sincerely,

What are the standards, if any, for an internal collection department? would vary with every company policy.... safe bet over 30 up to180 days though I have not been to a Doctor or Hospital in over 2 years but this says my account now 30 days past due call and insure its not a mistake. Does not make sense to me with the 30 days and over $300. Am I able to send DV just like they are 3rd party collection agency or use different approach? no, DV is only for CA...the internal collections dept is still within the OC

Second, A letter from a CA stating returning debt to OC means they need to remove record or no? only if 3rd party (CA 1 bought from OC, CA 2 bought from CA 1)...gotta be careful with the "factoring companies" being sneaky on that one though. not naming any names of course *cough*MID*cough*LA*cough*ND...

I would just like to second Cross's coughing fit. I agree wholeheartedly about They Who Shall Not Be Named.

Message 3 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Crossdivided wrote:

@Matt6995 wrote:

Letter was signed:

Sincerely,

What do you mean by that?

Message 4 of 14
Matt6995
Regular Contributor

Forgot to include they listed a hospital that was bought out 6 months after I had an ER visit there almost 4 years ago.

This must mean they are CA1 from your scenario and that they dont have to delete?

This credit reporting stuff can be confusing sometimes.

EDIT to say I got it. You are saying third party collection company right? So they do have to delete correct?

That way I can contact OC and if they still have a record pay off the $100 and be done with it and no more record?

Message 5 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No debt collector is required to delete their reported collection based on termination of their collection authority, including termination based on their assigned authority from the OC, termination based on sale of the debt, or termination based on payment of the debt.

Their reporting was of their collection authority at some point in time.  That is not negated by later termiantion of their authority, and thus does not compel them to delete their reporting.

If the OC assigns collection authority to debt collector 1, and then later terminates that authority, debt collector 1 must update their reporing to show collection closed, $0 under their collection.

If the OC sells the debt to debt collector 1, and debt collector 1 sells the debt to debt collector 2, debt collector 1 must likewise update their reporting to show collection closed, $0 under collection.  Debt collector 2 can report their collector, with the result being two collections appearing in the CR on the same debt.  However, only one can continue to report a $ balance under active collection.

In the above scenario, if debt collector 1 assigned collection authority to debt collector 2 rather than sold them the debt, similar reporting would result.

Debt collector 1 would close their formerly active collection and report a $0 balance under their active collection.  Debt collector 2 would be free to report their active collection.

Message 6 of 14
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

If it is in the internal collection department of the hospital, you may just call and ask them about it.  If it is yours, they will probably do a payment plan to keep from going to outside collections.  The hospital here does that.  It is a no interest, no fees payment plan....It was better for me than to go to outside collections thus having the liklihood of hitting my CR.

Message 7 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

No debt collector is required to delete their reported collection based on termination of their collection authority, including termination based on their assigned authority from the OC, termination based on sale of the debt, or termination based on payment of the debt.

Their reporting was of their collection authority at some point in time.  That is not negated by later termiantion of their authority, and thus does not compel them to delete their reporting.

If the OC assigns collection authority to debt collector 1, and then later terminates that authority, debt collector 1 must update their reporing to show collection closed, $0 under their collection.

If the OC sells the debt to debt collector 1, and debt collector 1 sells the debt to debt collector 2, debt collector 1 must likewise update their reporting to show collection closed, $0 under collection.  Debt collector 2 can report their collector, with the result being two collections appearing in the CR on the same debt.  However, only one can continue to report a $ balance under active collection.

In the above scenario, if debt collector 1 assigned collection authority to debt collector 2 rather than sold them the debt, similar reporting would result.

Debt collector 1 would close their formerly active collection and report a $0 balance under their active collection.  Debt collector 2 would be free to report their active collection.

I have to disagree on that one.  The Credit Reporting Resource Guide says that a debt buyer/factoring company MUST delete their TL if the debt is transferred or sold.  A 3rd part collection agency MUST delete their TL if the account is sent back to the original creditor.

Message 8 of 14
Matt6995
Regular Contributor

I know this has been said a million plus times on this forum but....

How sick that you can get sick, never receive notice that you owe a bill and then be penalized for years and years afterwards.

It is impossible to anticipate every entity and the bill they may or may not send to you until they send it to a collection agency.

Anyway, I will quiet down now.

Thanks for the input folks.

I will try some of the advice on this forum to improve my score.

EDIT to add looks like replying while Guinness was. I like his answer a lot better.

Either way I do appreciate both of you taking the time to read my post and answer my questions.

I hope to be as knowledgeable one day soon.

Message 9 of 14
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@Matt6995 wrote:

EDIT to add looks like replying while Guinness was. I like his answer a lot better.

In my head Guiness is female. Don't know why I thought that, though. Maybe the penguin? Not sure.

FWIW, I agree with you. Medical bills for my child pop up frequently, and she's been off-treatment since 2007. Trying to deal with the bills has been like playing Whack-a-Mole - I can't predict when one will spring up, but when it does, I go after it.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.