cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for tips to raise credit score for bigger limits.

tag
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Looking for tips to raise credit score for bigger limits.

I have been reading these forums looking for tips.  I feel like every situation is unique and the problem is that it is clear what works for some doesn't always apply.  My goal of joining here is to learn from the "pros" and work towards getting bigger limits.  Not because I *need* bigger limits but it would be nice to be considered more credit worthy.  My goal is to go from my current "Fair" credit up to "Excellent" credit this year. 

A bit of background, I used to be really bad with money.  I allowed myself to get into serious debt, it got to the point where even though my income kept growing my debt kept growing too.  In 2014 I decided to start trying to fix this.  I took care of all my old debt, sadly there are two collection items on my credit report, and while they show a zero balance as they have been paid in full I am sure it still hurts my credit today.  They were both last updated in 2014.  My first question: What if any are my options to help get these removed?  

My score sits at 683 today.  I was able to re-finance my car loan for a 3% APR (high compared to those with excellent credit but way better than what I had before, again I bought the car when I had bad credit and was just blowing my money because I could).  I also have gotten a few new cards in the last year.  

I now have the following: 

$4000 AAadvantage World Mastercard (March 2016 -- Most recent, they kept sending me things in the mail, I figured since I fly American a fair amount it was worth it if they would give me one) 
$5000 CSP (December 2015 -- Credit Karma said I was likely to be approved, so I got it.
$1000 Discover IT Chrome (  Another Credit Karma suggestion Janurary 2016) 
$2500 Capital One QuickSilver One (Feburary 2015 -- after I noticed my score had increased on credit karma I applied and got it) 
$3000 Capital One Platinum (Secured Card that I got in 2012) 

$1000 Motorola Online Store Card (September 2015 - applied on a whim was going to buy a smartwatch with "cash" used to card and paid it in full) 

I have no interest in getting anymore cards, and I understand that because 4 of the cards are so new it will take awhile and there is the short term hit from the recent hard inquiries.  Because at this point I have no interest in getting more credit cards I want to focus on A) figuring out how to get the two old collections things gone and B) figuring out the best tips to get my score up, would 100 more points before March 2017 be doable and how? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

Re: Looking for tips to raise credit score for bigger limits.

100 sounds like a bit of a stretch, but we need more info to provide more informed advice.

What are the balances on your current cards? Do you have any installment loans? Do you have any other derogs, like late payments or anything?

For the paid collections, your best bet is to send out GW letters requesting removal.

Message 2 of 6
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Balances are pretty low, one is sitting at around $400, the other around $200.  The balances will be paid in full at the end of the month. Since I will be travelling for two weeks and plan to use my cards for points the balances may report higher. 

According to Credit Karma (TU and Equifax reporting) I have 0 derogatory marks. TU reports 100% payment history, Equifax reporting 88% (13 late payments in 2010/2011 on a student loan account -- which I know hurts me big time) 

I do have a lendingclub unsecured loan which is current.  

So yeah, you are probably right 1 year to get up to 783 might not be possible.  It is a process that takes time for sure, and I am willing to take the time my goal is to ensure that the things I am doing are working towards the right outcome. 

Message 3 of 6
Chris679
Established Contributor

Welcome to myFICO.  Your post struck my because your situation is so similar to mine.  The 679 in my name is because that was my score when I joined.  Like you (and so many on this forum) I was irresponsible when I was younger.  Like you I had just refinanced my car loan from the 9.75% to a more resaonable rate.  LIke you I was trying to make the jump to excellent credit by getting the last few negative marks removed from my file.

Six years later and those days are long forgotten.  I have scores that bounce around in the low 800s but I really don't have to worry about them anymore so I don't.  The old days of worrying about interest rates are long forgotten too since I know that I will qualify for the best rate available.  Don't worry about credit card limits anymore either, instead I just worry about maximizing reward points and signup bonuses.  This forum is a great place to learn and before you know it you won't have to worry about any of that stuff either.

Now down to the advice:

-if you have not already done so, pull all three bureau reports for free at annualcreditreport.com 

-read up on the best way to dispute negative items, you can do it online but if memory serves they are allowed more time to respond if you initiate the dispute online

-anything left you start writing letters begging/threatening them to get the info removed

-every 6 months or so you can request CLI on your cards to grow the CL

-be selective about adding new accounts, you don't need to be desperate only get cards you want to keep long term or ones that serve a short term purpose like 0% apr

If you can get all of the negatives removed you can easily get to the 750 range but it takes a while to go up after that. 

Good luck

Message 4 of 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Welcome to MyFico forum

Please note that higher limits will not automatically improve your scores.  The only thing that matters is the utilization. Someone with a lower CL has exactly the same chances to reach 800+ scores as the one with 20K limits. It will just take more discipline to keep util low. Smiley Wink To increase scores if your balances are low it requires to work on baddies and if no baddies time will get you there. Sorry but looks to me that there is no easy and fast fix to get 100 points if your util is low already.  Pay down your cards to 0 balance on all but 1 card and on that 1 card report less than 9%.  This is about the fastest way to increase your max score option.  For better results the baddies will have to go. Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
thehollowaytape
Contributor

I'm new to all this.. but maybe sending GW letters weekly or monthly on those student loan lates could turn out in your favor!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.