Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to add a second card for bad credit

tag
kbl7td
Established Member

Looking to add a second card for bad credit

Score right now is 562, no revolving lines open. After getting a few deletions the only negative is a cap one card that I refuse to pay them and am still fighting for $612.

Just got a first progress secured card and I'm waiting for a score jump from it.

Is there any card that I could get approved with in a few months that isn't another secured card? Not too concerned about the limit, just don't want to put down another deposit. Wouldn't be surpirsed if my score jumped into the 600's after this card reports, so I need another!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking to add a second card for bad credit

I would wait until your score jumps, hopefully to around 600, then get a Walmart store card.  It's backed by GE, which is an awesome company for credit line increases.  You'll probably get an initial limit of around $400, and within a year you'll probably be in the 2k-3k range.

If I were to do my rebuild over again, I would just ride secured cards and a couple store cards until I could get a near prime card.  It's not worth getting a sub-prime garbage card just to say you have an unsecured card, you'll outgrow it so quickly it's just plain not worth dealing with it.

With that being said, if you absolutely want to get an unsecured, non store card, Cap1 has certain offers for a platinum rebuilder with no AF and 0% APR for 10-12 months.

Edit: Just re-read and realized you still owe to Cap1, obviously I wouldn't go that route in that case

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.