Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of baddies removed and scores have only increased slightly

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of baddies removed and scores have only increased slightly

Over the last 4 months, I've been able to remove 11 open collections and 4 charge offs, and PIF 6 charge offs.  I've also added 3 new revolving lines of credit with low balances and no lates.  As you can tell in my siggy, my scores have only increased slightly.

Here's what I still have remaining.

Equifax:         9 unpaid charge offs and 3 open collections

Experian:       7 unpaid charge off's and 5 open collections

TransUnion:  4 unpaid charge offs and 3 open collections

I realize I still have alot of work to do but I feel like alof of improvement has been made here but my scores are only a little higher than when I started.  I guess I expected them to be higher.  Getting rid of all those collections improved my untilization, plus adding the 3 new lines of credit.

The remaining baddies are all old and if I let them age off, they would all be gone by the end of next year.  I have 2 new revolving lines that will be reporting in a couple of months, which I intend to keep at a zero balance.  What is it thats keeping my scores so low?  The charge offs or the open collections?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
crrredit
Established Contributor

Re: Lots of baddies removed and scores have only increased slightly

Both the charge offs and the collections are keeping your score down. The worst of them are the ones that are updating. Take a look on your report and see how recently they have last reported.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Over the last 4 months, I've been able to remove 11 open collections and 4 charge offs, and PIF 6 charge offs.  I've also added 3 new revolving lines of credit with low balances and no lates.  As you can tell in my siggy, my scores have only increased slightly.

Here's what I still have remaining.

Equifax:         9 unpaid charge offs and 3 open collections

Experian:       7 unpaid charge off's and 5 open collections

TransUnion:  4 unpaid charge offs and 3 open collections

I realize I still have alot of work to do but I feel like alof of improvement has been made here but my scores are only a little higher than when I started.  I guess I expected them to be higher.  Getting rid of all those collections improved my untilization, plus adding the 3 new lines of credit.

The remaining baddies are all old and if I let them age off, they would all be gone by the end of next year.  I have 2 new revolving lines that will be reporting in a couple of months, which I intend to keep at a zero balance.  What is it thats keeping my scores so low?  The charge offs or the open collections?

Revolving account Charge Offs that are recent, updating monthly and reporting a balance (by the OC) are by far the worst item you can have on your reports. Even if they are old, if the OC is reporting a balance those are pulling your scores down. The reason is that FICO holds the charge off and late payments as a major derog against your  payment history (35% of your score) AND the unpaid balances are held against your current credit UTI% - another 30% of your score.

The lack of current credit accounts more than a couple of months old is also the reason your scores are still low. As the other two new accounts report, and as all the accounts age you'll see your scores rise as time passes.

Keep in mind that this is a marathon not a sprint, rehabbing your scores is typically a minimum 24 month long process, and requires lifelong attention.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, do you mind me asking what were all three of your scores when you were approved for the Walmart card?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ was 583, EX was 601 and TU was 620.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case, I had some COs that have been paid.  A couple were with the OC but at least 4 with a CA.

They now show zero balance and settled, some are less than full amount, but settled.

The COs all had at least 6 months of lates associated with them.  The lates still count until they roll off your CRs, about 7 years later.

My problems were in 2008 and 09 and the lates are rolling off and a couple of the COs are now being excluded, so my scores are improving, although slower than I would like. 

Perhaps your COs also have lates and that is keeping your scores down also.

hth

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe. I hadn't thought about lates, just whether it's a charge off or collection. Another year and a half and I'll be golden. I'm gonna work on getting more stuff removed but some of them will have to age off.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.