cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of issues & lots of confusion...help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of issues & lots of confusion...help!

My H and I are trying to work on rebuilding his dismal credit.  Many of his negative accounts are student loans that are in the first few months of rehab process, so we are not worrying about those TL's for the time-being as we'll see what happens with them after the rehab is completed.  However, he also has several other chargeoffs on his CR.  We are having trouble determining (A) whether all of the debts are valid, (B) whether they are still within SOL, and (C) what the various DOFD's are.

When moving across country 2 years ago, his UHaul + car with everything he owned (including financial records) was stolen...so that is also not helping matters.

There are 2 small debts from Verizon for  about $300 and a CA (OC is DirecTV) for about $100.  He claims to have no recollection of dealings with these companies or of these debts (but has no records to reference either).  Should we request validation or dispute with CRA's?

I've read that SOL is different in every state.  Would this be the state in which we now reside, or the state in which the debt was incurred (I feel like this is a stupid question, but I have no clue!)?  We plan to pay his debts off regardless...but I've heard that there is more leverage to obtain a PFD if the debt is past SOL.

Regarding DOFD, I don't see that listed on EQ or EX.  On TU, there is a date for when the item is expected to drop off, but it only shows up for some but not all of the accounts.  Some of the existing 'drop-off' dates seem inaccurate based on how old the accounts are.  I'm just wondering if there is a reliable way to determine and/or confirm DOFD if we no longer have any of these financial records.  I would like to know when some of these things will drop off since many are paid, and thus it's too late to try to negotiate a PFD.  We will try some GW's, but it's hard to know where to start when not knowing the DOFD's off all the various accounts. 

I'm also worried about paying off an old debt and inadvertently 're-starting' the 7 year timeline...but I've read that that is not true, and that the 7 years will always start from the DOFD and not the DOLA?  Is this correct?

Wow, that's a lot in one post!  Sorry for being a clueless newbie...any info appreciated.  We need some serious help.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.