Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Balances Hurting My Score?

tag
BrokeStudent2010
Contributor

Low Balances Hurting My Score?

Hi - Can someone explain or direct me to a thread explaining if low balances hurt your credit score. I recently made a concerted effort to pay off most of my credit card debt. At first this helped my score jump from the 700s to the 800s. Now it seems that every time I pay off a balance my score goes down a little. I am monitoring my score using ScoreWatch and I'm baffled as to why my score goes down on the days that a balance pay off is reported, but it sometimes goes up when a new balance is reported. Can someone please help me understand this. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Low Balanced Hurting My Score?

If you are paying "all" of your cards down to zero and they each report that way, you'll lose points. You want at least one card to report a balance. It's better if your only reporting under 10% of your overall credit.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 6
BrokeStudent2010
Contributor

Ok, thank you. Right now I think that I'm using about 3% so that must be the problem. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrokeStudent2010 wrote:

Ok, thank you. Right now I think that I'm using about 3% so that must be the problem. 

There is an "ideal" UTI% that seems to vary from one person to the next. It will usually be somewhere between 1% and 9%. Experiment by letting varying amounts report each month and see if you can discover your peak UTI percentage.

Message 4 of 6
BrokeStudent2010
Contributor

Thanks. I'll try that. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrokeStudent2010 wrote:

Thanks. I'll try that. 

BTW, with a clean file the score variation once you get below 10% is usually not much more than a handful of points.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.