Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBNA bought by CO called "The Bureaus"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MBNA bought by CO called "The Bureaus"

So I had an account with MBNA (who became B of A effective 1-06) that was purchased by a CO called “The Bureaus”.  Very confusing and makes it impossible to search these forums for anything about them.

I can not find old statements or old CR’s but know that I became delinquent somewhere between about 2000-2001. And, that since I moved in 2003, I have not made a single payment on that account.

Balance was about $1500

Last year this fell off 2 of 3 of the CR’s.

However, it is showing up on one but is now showing owned by a CO actually called “The Bureaus”.   

So anyways, they are now reporting a balance of $4400 and it shows that this should remain on my file till 9-2012. Clearly past the 7 years from DOFD.

I am working with a mortgage broker to get qualified and this is actually my last issue in this credit repair mode.   

He disputed with the CRB showing the information. They came back that it was verified (of course) and stated that they were informed I made a payment on 9-05. Totally annoyed that they can out right lie and its allowed.  

So, he did a request to the OC for the true “charge off” date. But told me they have 90 days to respond. This was just yesterday so I may have some waiting to do.

But, he did tell me I may end up having to call the OC if he is not able to get the information so was wondering.. just in case… if anyone else out there was able to get their CR corrected by calling the OC.

In this case, I will have to call BofA since they now own MBNA. So, on that note, would they even still have records if my true DOFD was in 2000-2001? That is over 10 years ago.

It’s with EX by the way. Not sure that matters…TU and EQ removed the tradeline.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: MBNA bought by CO called "The Bureaus"

The Bureaus is a CA not an OC.  If you can prove the DOFD then you can dispute that.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: MBNA bought by CO called "The Bureaus"

No collection or charge-off can continue to appear in your CR after 7 years plus 180-days from the DOFD on the OC account.  That is the starting point.

The DOFD is one, single date-certain that depends only on your DOFD on the OC account, and not upon any dates of payments, reporting of a collection, etc.

To determine whether the collection should still be appearing in your CR, you need to know the DOFD that is of record in your credit file.

The DOFD gets into your credit file under the procedure set forth in FCRA 623(a)(5).  It can become complicated, depending upon who reported your DOFD to the CRA.  Sometimes it was the OC, and under other conditions, it was the debt collector.  Regardless, within 90-days of any reporting of a referral for collection, any party posting to your CR must provide the DOFD to the CRA within 90-days after reporting.  Most commerical CRs dont give you the actual DOFD in your credit file. 

I am a bit confused as to how the issue of a "charge-off" entered into the picture.  A CO has nothing to do with the collection.

Regardless, you need to know the DOFD that is in your credit file, as well as the party who reported it.

You dont have to rely upon either the OC or the debt collector to get the DOFD posted to your file.  FCRA 609(a)(1) gives you the right to request this information direlctly from the CRA.  Such requests requirement payment of a fee under FCRA 612(f), which is currently $10.50.

Thus, I suggest you file a request directly with the CRA under FCRA 609(a)(1) and get the name of party who reported the DOFD to them, and the DOFD that they reported.

With that information, you have the facts necessary to attack an inaccuracy of DOFD reporting.  Without that information, you dont what date to dispute, or who to dispute it with.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.