Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEDICAL BILLS, HIPPA, & COLLECTION AGENCIES

tag
terrymurph
Regular Contributor

MEDICAL BILLS, HIPPA, & COLLECTION AGENCIES

I HAVE AN OLD EMERGENCY ROOM BILL FROM MCDONOUGH DISTRICT HOSPITAL IN MACOMB, IL. I HAD AN ACCIDENT IN 2004 AND THE PERSON WHO HIT ME WAS COVERED BY STATE FARM AT LEAST I THOUGHT. HE HAD A PHONY INSURANCE CARD AND INFO, NEEDLESS TO SAY I ENDED UP BEING STUCK WITH A 750$ EMERGENCY ROOM BILL. THE HOSPITAL SENT THE BILL TO COLLECTION PROFESSIONALS, WHO IS NOW COLLECTING ON THE DEBT. I CALLED THEM DIRECTLY AND EXPLAINED THE WHOLE SCENARIO ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED. I THEN OFFERED THEM PFD. THE SUPERVISOR I SPOKE WITH TOLD ME THERE WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO, AND THEY DO NOT REMOVE ITEMS FROM CREDIT REPORTS. I THEN SENT THEM A LETTER TO VERIFY THE DEBT AND ALSO ASKED THEM(COLLECTION PROF.) TO SEND ME PROOF OF SAID DEBT SIGNATURES ETC... THEY SENT ME THE CONSENT FORM I SIGNED THEIR BILL AND THE RECEIPT FROM THE HOSPITAL WITH ALL SERVICES RENDERED INCLUDING X RAYS INJURIES AND OTHER INFO. IS THIS AGAINST HIPAA REGULATIONS AND IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO ABOUT THIS. BECAUSE I NEVER SIGNED ANY RELEASE FORMS FOR THEM TO RECEIVE MY MEDICAL INFORMATION. IF SO WHAT IS IT THAT I CAN DO, IM NOT VERY FAMILIAR WITH HIPAA. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Eq WAS 500+ three years ago NOW IM 683 and Trans WAS ALSO 500+ NOW IM SITTING AT 710
700 You better be on the LOOK OUT(OOPS GUESS THEY WEREN'T LOOKING CAUSE I ALREADY MADE IT YAAAAYYYYYYYY)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MEDICAL BILLS, HIPPA, & COLLECTION AGENCIES

Can you afford to pay the bill in full?
Message 2 of 5
terrymurph
Regular Contributor

Yes i can.
Eq WAS 500+ three years ago NOW IM 683 and Trans WAS ALSO 500+ NOW IM SITTING AT 710
700 You better be on the LOOK OUT(OOPS GUESS THEY WEREN'T LOOKING CAUSE I ALREADY MADE IT YAAAAYYYYYYYY)
Message 3 of 5
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Nobody had an answer?  I am really confused over medical bills.  all of mine are in collection agency hands- but 3 of them have exact duplicates- which I obviously want to dispute because i believe they are nothing more than a duplicate and that I don't actually owe the money on those.  Do I send a DV letter?  I am so confused about how to proceed with medical collection accounts.  Unfortunately 99% of my baddies on my credit report are from unpaid medical bills now in collections.  =(

Message 4 of 5
MissMia75
Frequent Contributor

It does not appear to be a violation because in fact you did ask for them to validate the debt. 

Starting Score: 06/2011 505 EX 523 Lender Pulled
Current Score: 08/2011 628 EX 575 Lender Pulled
11/14/2011 TU 584

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
***Closed on my home 05/18/2012***

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.