Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIDLAND CREDIT MANAGEMENT QUESTION

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MIDLAND CREDIT MANAGEMENT QUESTION

Hello

Starting 2 weeks ago, I received a phone call from this Midland Credit Management debt collection company, they were offering me a settlement agreement for a TMobile bill from 2009. The total is 1339.00 and the offer is for 60% off. I requested validation of this (I know it is true because I was involved with some issues with TMobile back in the day) for files and they supposedly sent one two weeks ago but I have received nothing. Today I get another phone call, the rep did not sound sure of anything she was talking about, but then she gave me a website, I logged in and saw the account info which only included the amount and original creditor. I then asked her to repeat back what the payment deals were and she became quiet, put me on what sounded like "mute" and I just hung up because I had a bad feeling. 

SO ...I have 4 questions - why is this debt NOT appearing on my credit report? I am finally in a good financial standpoint and I have paid all of my debts that were in my credit report, could that trigger old collection companies to call and harrass? should I continue to wait for a bill/letter validation of this debt or is what is on the website safe enough? lastly, IF I do pay  the debt off, what are the pros/cons? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MIDLAND CREDIT MANAGEMENT QUESTION

I wouldn't even call them. I'm sure the debt is passed SOL. If it's been that long I'm sure that it has been sold from collection company to another. The thing is once you make some arrangements with them the sol starts over 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello

Starting 2 weeks ago, I received a phone call from this Midland Credit Management debt collection company, they were offering me a settlement agreement for a TMobile bill from 2009. The total is 1339.00 and the offer is for 60% off. I requested validation of this (I know it is true because I was involved with some issues with TMobile back in the day) for files and they supposedly sent one two weeks ago but I have received nothing. Today I get another phone call, the rep did not sound sure of anything she was talking about, but then she gave me a website, I logged in and saw the account info which only included the amount and original creditor. I then asked her to repeat back what the payment deals were and she became quiet, put me on what sounded like "mute" and I just hung up because I had a bad feeling. 

SO ...I have 4 questions - why is this debt NOT appearing on my credit report? I am finally in a good financial standpoint and I have paid all of my debts that were in my credit report, could that trigger old collection companies to call and harrass? should I continue to wait for a bill/letter validation of this debt or is what is on the website safe enough? lastly, IF I do pay  the debt off, what are the pros/cons? 

Welcome to the forums.

Just because an account reaches its exclusionary period does not mean that CAs cannot continue to try to collect on the debt.  This can go on for infinity.  You can send them a cease and desist request.  What will happen is that they will probably sell the account to another bottom feeder and the process will start over again.  If you have ordered you annual credit report, then you can see what CAs have been soft pulling your reports.  Anytime you start the process of improving your credit, it is usually when collectors come out of the woodwork.  The pros to paying off the debt is not having to be bothered about it anymore.  If it is past the exclusionary period, then I would offer them 20% to settle with the understanding that the remaining debt will not be sold and you will receive a letter stating that you have satisfied the debt. If you feel that the debt legitimately belongs to you, then you can decide if you want to get rid of it once and for all. 

Message 3 of 4
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

If you log into Midlands website, they usually have a disclaimer under the debt if your SOL has passed.

Keep in mind that SOL goes of last payment date, where TL removal goes off of DOFD. Some states SOL is at 10 years- meaning if its not on your report and your in a 10 year SOL state, you could be sued and the judgment goes on your report for 10 years.

If your SOL has passed, put this account at the bottom of your list to fix.  If it has not past then I would say its time to strike a deal with Midland becasue this would be an account I would put at the top of my list to fix. 

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.