Re: MIDLAND DELETED!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@injustifiiable wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here are the links to the FDIC ruling:

http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/press/2008/FBD_Notice_of_Charges.pdf
http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/enforcement/2008-10-03.pdf
http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/enforcement/2008-12-03.pdf

I just received two notices from Midland that each of my First Bank of Delaware collection accounts have been removed from all three credit reporting agencies! Woo hoo

Of course, I filed complaints with the BBB, the CA AG, and my state AG. And just recently, my state AG filed a lawsuit against them. So I'm not sure which of these convinced Midland to remove, but I sure am happy!!! Smiley Happy

Yay! I swear, Midland is probably the worst CA I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Still waiting for them to delete the duplicate entry off of my EQ, but it could just be held up because I disputed with the CRA's...we'll see. I check every day.

Did Midland do the duplicate entries on Equifax only? They did that to me in March.  It took about 4 weeks after filing the first complaint before I received my notice they were deleting.

Good luck, I agree Mudland is the worst!!!

Yup, EQ only. It's ridiculous. I first sent them a letter saying that they duplicated the entry and attached a copy of the EQ report. Then I found out I could get the whole thing deleted totally because the OC was a CompuCredit account. After sending them a letter informing them of the FTC order, the TL fell off my reports shortly after, with just the duplicate one on EQ remaining. I kinda wish I didn't dispute it because I think it would've been gone...but oh well. EQ is still investigating so hopefully it'll just go away.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ seems to be real slow deleting these Mudland collection accounts. Mine was in dispute for 42 days when it disappeared. Keep hounding Mudland to delete the duplicate account. EQ will drag it out.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the deletion! I too have had success with getting 3 accounts from Midland removed recently. I am still waiting to see the results reflected on my credit report, but just knowing that I am finally done with them is a load off my shoulders. Every time I looked at my CR and saw that they were going to continue reporting until 2015 just made me cringe inside, now I am done with them.

It took about a month. I started with disputes to all 3 CRA's and Equifax was the first to investigate and remove the accounts. Then I went and filed a complaint with the FTC while the investigations were still ongoing with Experian and TransUnion.

TransUnion was the second CRA to remove them from my report. And in the meantime, I was sending letters (snail mail) to Midland asking them to remove the accounts from my report because I never opened them. They offered me settlement offers and continued to send me "bills" asking me to pay the 3 accounts.

Finally, after getting a letter and my report from Experian, showing that they agreed to remove (delete) Midland, I was happy and felt as though I had won the battle. But the rep at Experian told me that although the CRA's removed (deleted) the items, Midland could still at any point, add the items back to my report and I would have to dispute them all over again with all 3 agencies. I was livid...

So I sent another letter to Midland advising them that the CRA's have deleted the accounts and they should delete them as well. About a week later, I sent the exact same letter, advising that I never opened the accounts, and to delete them. 3 days later I got 3 letters, stating that midland has removed the accounts and reported the information to the CRA's.

Now I feel like it is really over, all said and done, and I can lay Midland Credit Management (aka) Midland Funding LLC to rest. RIP and good riddens!

Message 13 of 25
owensgirl10
Established Member

OK-- I hate to be the ignorant one, but could someone please clarify this for me...this is MY understanding of the ruling....

I had an Aspire Visa in 2007....Currently it is in collections w/Midland Funding.  Midland Funding is still (as of May 2012) reporting KD on my credit report.  Now, from what I gather from FTC vs CompuCredit, as of 12/19/2008...This should has been removed from my CR.  Is that correct???

Starting Score: 05/12: myFICO=493, TU=494 EX=549, CK=495, CS=534, Quizzle=552
Current Score: 06/06/12: myFICO=493, TU=606, CK TRANSRISK=511, EX=549, CS=563, Quizzle=552
Goal Score: Short Term=580. Long Term=775

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 25
jharrison
Established Member

try filing a BBB complaint. LVNV had my Imagine/compucredit account and I filed a complaint stating the FDIC lawsuit and they agreed to delete

Message 15 of 25
Lthomas356
Valued Member

Ex also deleted Midland!!!! I will write EQ again and see if I can get them to delete

Starting Score: 671
Current Score: Wal-Mart TU 683 (1/21/13)
Goal Score: 710

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@owensgirl10 wrote:

OK-- I hate to be the ignorant one, but could someone please clarify this for me...this is MY understanding of the ruling....

I had an Aspire Visa in 2007....Currently it is in collections w/Midland Funding.  Midland Funding is still (as of May 2012) reporting KD on my credit report.  Now, from what I gather from FTC vs CompuCredit, as of 12/19/2008...This should has been removed from my CR.  Is that correct???

Is the OC still reporting on your credit reports? Did you receive any restitution? Are you certain you fall within the guidelines of the order? Those are two things you need to know to try to get Midland deleted.

However, this is a very gray area, according to an attorney I talked to.

Part 3, Section E of the 2008-12-03 states:

Except as set forth above, this SubPart III.E shall not be construed to prevent or restrict CompuCredit or any owner of a credit card receivable or account from engaging in lawful collection activity on such receivable or account.

Apparently, the OC has to remove the affected trade line(s), it does not order the collection agencies to stop collection activity.

Also, Part 3, Section F of that order states:

For all other accounts that receive a credit under this ORDER, CompuCredit shall request that each such consumer reporting agency remove the affected trade line or trade lines, or shall furnish such agency accurate information regarding the modifications to each account resulting from this ORDER.

Again, it does not order the collection agencies to remove any information. The FDIC can only impose an order on the banking industry, they can not impose an order on collection companies. The FDIC sent me a letter stating such.

Please note I am NOT an attorney. LOL  I am simply passing along information that an attorney gave to me.

I believe I was successful because of all the complaints I filed in addition to my state AG filing a lawsuit against them. It took me MONTHS to get Midland off my credit reports. I just kept slamming Midland with letters, validation requests, and complaints until they removed the two trade lines.

Getting the trade line removed can be done, but it takes effort and time. I almost threw in the towel several times!! Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 25
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

The language is indeed a bit murky, but I recall seeing a paragraph on page 8 of the Stipulation Order saying that these provisions applied if "account was charged off and sold to a third party, affiliate, etc". I more or less went with the angle that since Midland bought the account and was a third party of CompuCredit, they are obligated to delete the TL.

Heck, I might've been wrong but it worked for 2 out of 3 CRA's.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@injustifiiable wrote:

The language is indeed a bit murky, but I recall seeing a paragraph on page 8 of the Stipulation Order saying that these provisions applied if "account was charged off and sold to a third party, affiliate, etc". I more or less went with the angle that since Midland bought the account and was a third party of CompuCredit, they are obligated to delete the TL.

Heck, I might've been wrong but it worked for 2 out of 3 CRA's.

Initially, I was reading it that way as well.

That section states:

This paragraph shall apply even if an Eligible Consumer’s account was closed, charged off or sold to a third party (whether or not the third party is affiliated with CompuCredit).

As the attorney told me, it's only THAT particular paragraph that deals with the restitution and not subsequent paragraphs. It is Section E that seems to be the "escape clause". However, I kept at it; DETERMINED! LOL  I know people, including myself, have had luck getting them removed.

I even made sure that Midland sent me a letter making sure they would not sell or transfer the account for future collection activities. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 25
pjonyd
New Visitor

HI.

Right now I am in the same situation with a collector. I already paid off my debt and they told me that they will not delete the account from my CR, so now I will have to wait 7 years for it to come out of my CR. Can you tell me what do you to make it happen ? 

Thanks

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.