cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MISSION ACCOMPLISHED] CA Is Claiming I Owe Them A Debt. Please Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

[MISSION ACCOMPLISHED] CA Is Claiming I Owe Them A Debt. Please Help!

Here is the story.

Me and my Dad got an apartment. Me and my dad signed a lease for apartment #203. I move out. My Dad signs a new lease for a apartment #303. I don't sign the lease because I am long gone. My Dad moves out one day after the lease expires. 8 Months go bye. I get a letter from a collections agency. My dad calls the CA and they tell him they can't remove it from our CR's and then the CA asks witch credit card he would be paying with (my dad doesn't even have a credit card). My Dad hangs up phone.

End of Story.

What should I do? The debt is for $1,207 and growing at %12 Apr. I am working on sending a DV Letter but the only address I have for the CA is a PO Box. My dad obtained a copy of the original signed lease and only his signature is on it. This is really bad for me because I just started building my credit and I only have one month of history. The only thing keeping me from going off on my dad is that I know I can probably get some help from the great people on this forum. Thanks for ready my Story and Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

PS. Dad is very sorry and trying everything to make it up to me.

Message Edited by Justn on 07-24-2008 10:51 AM

Message Edited by Justn on 07-24-2008 10:52 AM

Message Edited by Justn on 08-10-2008 01:42 PM

Message Edited by Justn on 08-11-2008 01:00 PM
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA Is Claiming I Owe Them A Debt. Please Help!

Ok, the lease that you and dad signed together, did you fullfill it?

If the debt is regarding the lease that only he signed, then dad is not at fault. The apt complex is. Your name should not be on that debt, as it was not on the lease.

If the debt is regarding the new lease, I would send the CA a DV. I would ask for proof that this is your debt.

Message 2 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply sidewinger. My dad broke the lease when I moved out and then signed a new one. I think at that point every thing was paid in full. Should I just ask the apt complex what the debt is for?
Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Justn wrote:
Thanks for your reply sidewinger. My dad broke the lease when I moved out and then signed a new one. I think at that point every thing was paid in full. Should I just ask the apt complex what the debt is for?

If the lease you were on was broken, then you are liable for the debt.

Was the apartment complex aware of you moving? Did they agree to breaking the lease?

It would not hurt to contact the complex and find out what the amount is for before proceeding.
Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, They didn't know I was moving out. Yes, I think they agreed to breaking it. The original lease was for six months and my dad had it changed to longer. My dad got a completely different apartment(same complex, different floor). I have the papers for the newer lease rite here in front of me and my signature is nowhere to be found. However my Dads Signature and Initials are all-over the place.
Message 5 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Justn wrote:
No, They didn't know I was moving out. Yes, I think they agreed to breaking it. The original lease was for six months and my dad had it changed to longer. My dad got a completely different apartment(same complex, different floor). I have the papers for the newer lease rite here in front of me and my signature is nowhere to be found. However my Dads Signature and Initials are all-over the place.

I would call the apartment complex and ask what the amount is for.
Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try calling. My dad went there and he says the employees don't seem to have a clue what to do.
Message 7 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent an application for a BOA secured CC 2 days ago. And this collection hit my reports this morning. Do you think BOA will reject my app now because of this.
Message 8 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on if BoA has already pulled your reports or not.  Did you apply through the mail or online?
Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

App was through mail. and No they haven't checked my report. So far the CA is only showing on EQ.
Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.