cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MISSION ACCOMPLISHED] CA Is Claiming I Owe Them A Debt. Please Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA Is Claiming I Owe Them A Debt. Please Help!

Ok, I sent out that DV letter CMRRR yesterday. Now that I am done with that sould I dispute with the CRAs as not mine? From what I understand It should be removed from my report in 30 days because there is no way the CA could be able to verify the debt.
Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, I sent out that DV letter CMRRR yesterday. Now that I am done with that sould I dispute with the CRAs as not mine? From what I understand It should be removed from my report in 30 days because there is no way the CA could be able to verify the debt.

I'd wait the 30 days. Let THEM do the footwork of deleting the tradeline. Even if all you do all day is fish your belly button for lint, you have MUCH better things to do with your time. And it goes without saying that your time is FAR more valuable than theirs.

But that's my opinion ... others, please feel free to disagree! Smiley Wink
Message 22 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Justn wrote:

You still have to allow them 30 days to validate before you dispute. If they don't validate within that time (allow time for mail, are entitled to the full 30) then you can either send a follow up letter, or go ahead and dispute with the CRA's. Send copies of your GC, CM receipt, letter and tell the CRA's they did not validate this debt.

If you dispute now as 'not mine' it could cause potential problems. 1. They could verify it then it will be harder to remove when you do your dispute after the 30 day of NON validation. 2. They slap a fraud alert on all of your reports.

Lady Scarlet provides a follow up letter and great explaination here

Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE!!!

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!!

I just got a reply to my DV request. They sent me a copy of the signed lease. NOT signed by me. The only sig on it is my dads.

What should I do next? Should I send the lease to the CRA's or should I write another letter to the CA? Please Help! Thanks.

Message Edited by Justn on 08-10-2008 12:56 PM
Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UPDATE!!!

Personally I would get a letter from your father, with his signature, agreeing that the lease is his only. Send that along with a copy of the lease provided by CA to the CRA. Dispute as not mine.
Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would that be enough proof for the CRA? The only CRA reporting is Equifax.

Btw: The CA is "United Collection Service, Inc" and from there website it looks like they don't purchase debts. There motto is "No Collection, No charge". So I am wondering if I could pay the OC, would it be possible to get them to delete?

Message Edited by Justn on 08-11-2008 01:29 PM
Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would reply to the CA and ask how they can validate a debt they are claiming that YOU owe by sending you a lease signed by another person.

I would instruct them to remove the account from your credit report within 30 days, as they did not validate the debt.

FDCPA 809 states that if they do not or can not validate the debt, they must cease collection activities. The FTC has given the opinion that reporting on one's credit report is collection activities.

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

gordonbs wrote:
Personally I would get a letter from your father, with his signature, agreeing that the lease is his only. Send that along with a copy of the lease provided by CA to the CRA. Dispute as not mine.

I would not send your father's signature to anyone and I would not dispute as "not mine".

If you dispute as not mine, all the CRA will do is verify the information they are reporting is the same that the creditor has in their files, and obvious it is.
Message 28 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks sidewinder, I will do that. Also how do I file a complaint with the FTC, BBB and anyone else I can. These guys have really gotten to me and I want to cause them as much trouble as I legally can.
Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

It isn't about causing them trouble, but more about making them accountable for their loose actions.

You can file complaints with the BBB, FTC, and AG by going to their respective websites.
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.