Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIdland put my account in dispute...

tag
maygirl
Contributor

MIdland put my account in dispute...

I am in the process of trying to get qualified and they have placed my account in dispute and sent a letter requesting information from me... How do I get this removed? Call or send a letter? What should the letter say? I need it removed ASAP!!! Ugh if these people ruin my chances of getting a house because of a dispute I am going to go crazy! Can they force me to pay in order to remove the comment?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jharrison
Established Member

Re: MIdland put my account in dispute...

They did the same thing to me.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

This is a growing tactic being complained of by numerous posters.  Yes, the name of your specific debt collector is associated with a lot of those complaints.

So it appears to be more than just a one-time "misunderstanding."

I presume that you filed a DV, and they "mistakenly" treated it as a dispute?

Having become the apparent tactic d'jour by some debt collectors, something needs to be done.  I have been wrestling with possible ways of addressing this mess, and offer a few thoughts....

First, you could dispute the accuracy of their reporting, but they have obviously thunk that one out.  It's a consumer catch-22 to dispute the reporting of a dispute, thus placing a legitimate dispute flag in your credit file. 

You could just call or write, and point out their "error," but that is just a letter with no clout.  I would still, at the least, notify them that it was not a dispute, and you are awaiting their debt verification, and until received, they are under a cease collection bar.

YOu could assert that reporting to a CRA while under a cease collector bar imposed by your DV is a prohibited collection practice under FDCPA 809(b).

But FDCPA violations dont compel correction of credit reporting issues, and are long and hard to purue.  Not much mileage there.

One tactic that may have actual clout is to take them at their word.... that they are treating it as a direct dispute.

If they consider it to be a direct dispute, they are NOT permitted to simply delay action on the direct dispute by requiring more information.  They have 30 days to act on the dispute.  If they notify you that you have provided insufficient information to investigate your "dispute," the proper recourse is for them to dismiss it as "frivolous or irrelevant," and notify you what they consider to be missing from the dispute.  That must be done under the direct dispute rules within their investigation period.

They are not doing that.

Thus, they are holding it to be a direct dispute, and yet not complying with their requirements to investigate or dismiss it.  Delaying investigation is not a provision of the rules.

Dismissing concludes the dispute, and would thus compel reporting of removal of the dispute flag to the CRAs.

Maybe others can come up with a better plan, but it has reached the point where consumers definately need some way to put clout into addressing this improper tactic.

Message 3 of 6
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

These people make me sick. I have two accounts with them...one paid and the other unpaid. I was fighting to get one paid account removed because it qualified under a FTC order. I was successful at it but they put a Dispute remark on the other one.

I know I owe it so I never bothered with DVing, doing a dispute with the CRAs, or anything like that. This is crazy.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 6
maygirl
Contributor

So I really need the dispute taken off of the account, but I don't want to give them anything that would allow them to reage the account. I found a form on their website that can be mailed which says "I expressly authorize Midland Credit to remove the dispute relating to account number XYZ Date and Sign

If I send this in will this is any way be able to come back to haunt me? I am sooooo close to being able to buy a house again!!!!!

Thanks thanks thanks for all the help!!!

Message 5 of 6
maygirl
Contributor

I called the number on the letter and they said they had the get it in writing. I have to get the remark removed so I don't see another option! I hope it doesn't mess somethingvelse up in the process. I mean telling them I am not curently disputing is not reason to reage or anything right?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.