cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MUST watch for everyone - HBO's John Oliver does show on all three credit bureaus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MUST watch for everyone - HBO's John Oliver does show on all three credit bureaus

Atonswife, I can see your point, if this is the way it's changing, then the way the 3 CRA's REPORT and educate consumers has to drastically change. You can't change so suddenly and base all things on credit, when the majority of consumers do NOT understand the process, the process is antiquated, unforgiving and mean to penalize you even AFTER paying (like a paid state lien for crying out loud).

Our kids aren't taught about these things in school-if it's a part of jobs/insurance, etc...THIS should be MANDATORY teaching-since they're coming out and facing these things suddenly. 

I am an American citizen, raised overseas, my parents didn't understand credit much either (though both US born we lived many years overseas, no such system)-

When first arrived and getting settled, we came into a lot of debt -manageable at the time until the divorce, the good thing is after my divorce/sale of the house MOST bills were entirely paid off.  The MISTAKE:

Co-signing w/my ex that allowed his vehicle to be repoed

2- my mother telling me we should CLOSE all accounts as to not get in debt again.  TONS of positive/paid off lines gone and shortened AAoA

3-getting behind in taxes-having NO idea I had a lien, what a lien meant, **bleep** what a credit report meant for the most part

4-not getting into a payment plan w/the two creditors I didn't pay or the state for that matter...granted i was struggling financially really bad there for several years so exra money beyond feeding my kids was tough to come by.

All these things are part of life....doesn't make someone trustworthy or not.  I still disagree we should go in this direction-NOT until the entire reporting system is cleaned up/streamlined/updated to reflect more accurately somebody's true 'score'.  I mean come on, fico8, vantage, auto 4, auto 2, whatever else, how many 'ways' score differences can you FIND out there? 

Message 21 of 23
Atonswife
Contributor

Re: MUST watch for everyone - HBO's John Oliver does show on all three credit bureaus

overit2 I completely agree! If this data is going to be used, I think that everyone should at least be given a fair chance to make sure their profile is as pleasing as possible. Sure we hear the commercials advertising credit services saying how important credit is but it's just as important to know that even if you do everything right credit wise, you still have to be very attentive to your file because as we all know the CBs make mistakes all the time and are not so quick to fix it. It's also crazy like you said that there are so many versions to ultimately tell you the same thing yet they all grade you differently. The whole concept is flawed but this is the world we live in.
As of 11/02/15:
EX-679, TU-707, EQ-690 (FICO 08),7/31/15 691 (FICO 04)
CAP ONE QS-$4,250, CAP ONE QS-$2K, CAP ONE VISA SIG-$7K, JETBLUE AMEX-$5K, DCU PLATINUM VISA-$6.5K, AMAZON STORE-$5k, BANANA REPUBLIC-$5k

AU ACCTS: CAP ONE QS-$1.5K, CAP ONE CLASSIC-3K, BLOOMINGDALES-$3K, NORDSTROMS-$1K
Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, lesson learned from me with all this is that my kids will not be as naive.  As soon as I get my secured Discover in the mail I'm adding my teens as AU to start building a file.  They are getting a checking account this week as well.

My poor fiance, good thing is he has ONE baddy on his credit repor (only $60 we can do a PFD I'm sure), bad news is all his other stuff is gone, last year he had some good ones there but guessing they aged out... he believes in saving/paying cash-great because he has no debt, vehicles paid for (the house is mine)....so literally after that one baddy is removed he has NOTHING in his report lol

He's opening a few secured cards to get it started back up- he HATES financing, but I told him as he's wanting to get a truck to pay most of it and just finance a year or two or really low payment even will help thicken his file.  He needs to get it thickened up also as I"m sure next home in a couple years we'll want to go in as joint.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.