Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY CREDIT REBOUND 2013

tag
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

MY CREDIT REBOUND 2013

It's funny how it turned out for my in rebuilding my credit. During my first month of my deployment exactly one year ago, my wife and I had a conversation about wanting to buy a house when I get out of the military in 2015. She knew my credit wasn't great, due in part to defaulted student loans. There were a couple other baddies like two CC CO's and a comcast bill. Everything was from b/w 2006-2008. My brother cosigned an auto loan during the same time, where i racked up 4 30day lates. I eventually paid off the car in 2009. In total, I was looking at roughly $11k worth of debt. My score were in the toilet, all in the mid 500s. In Jan 2011, I app'd for the Cap1 Secure w/ a deposit of $200. I haven't missed a payment. In Aug 2012, was able to obtain Cap1 CR unsecure w/ a $500 CL. Haven't missed a payment.

The difficult part of this journey was communicating with my wife from Afghanistan. Because she had POA while I was gone, we were already over the first hurdle. First it was the Comcast bill. It was for only $177. We got in touch with the company who owned the debt and was able to to a PFD. Sweet. Then in Mar 2013, I became a member of NFCU. At the same time, was able to get a auto loan in my own name with a good interest rate. Then in April 2013, I app'd for their CR card, approved. Initial limit was $1000, but requested $10k and got it. So while all of this is going on, my wife is working my student loans and was able to go into rehab. I finished rehab this past september, They were picked up by the same lenders who originally serviced them. All the deliquent TLs were deleted and now show pay as agree. And I've had a perfect payment history since 2011. Now the scores/cards in my siggy are current as of this month.

Like I originally said in the beginning of this piece, repairing my credit was all because I wanted to get in position to buy a house. That is still on my list but my priorities have changed. Now it's all about practicing good financially responsibility and using credit wisely. I wanted to be like other posters on here; get into prime land, have my scores in the 700s, and not be embarrassed to others that I didn't have good credit because of the mistakes I've made. But I'm not worried about that anymore. It's important to know if you are trying to build your financial health back up, you have chose the right place in MyFico. We are all here for each other. We want each other to succeed. So continue to post your issues and thoughts. Keep your head held high and know that things will get better. Thanks to everyone on here who has posted their stories, have given advice, or just wrote a "congrats" in a thread. It means alot. Good day!!

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ptilda
Established Contributor

Re: MY CREDIT REBOUND 2013

Fantastic work! Particularily from overseas. Thanks for your service AND your encouraging story.

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 2 of 9
AllThingsRPossible
New Contributor

+1 Smiley Happy 

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 667
Goal Score: 650

Message 3 of 9
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

I love this post. Congrats on your journey and thanks for the encouragement and inspiration.

I'm well along my journey, as well. My income is way up and my FICO is up over 100 since last year. Worst marks are two zombie debts from 2005 ... one is about to be deleted due to a successful dispute and the other I am currently disputing. I was told by the senior VP of lending at my credit union that these two debts, which based on the way CA reporting, appear to be NEW and seriously delinquent, are the major hit to my score right now and I expect to resolve these quickly. Other than that, I have on time history for two years with small credit cards and an auto loan. I still have low credit availability and a HORRIBLE interest rate on my auto loan, but I know I will be able to change it in the next 6 months or so ... It is a great feeling to be proactive, to get educated, to be improving my credit habits. I love these boards & seeing so many people as they progress. Glad to have great folks to share the journey with. Thanks again for sharing your story! :-)

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 4 of 9
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats!!!WTG!!!

Message 5 of 9
notfancy
Valued Contributor

First, thank you for your service!

The rest:

Hearing about your goals and the work that went in to achieve them was a great way to start my morning. I love reading these success stories about improvement. It sounds like your wife was the perfect partner to help you along with all of this while you were over seas as well! I hope that you continue to make progress and that you and your family can find your dream home when you are ready to go searching!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 6 of 9
Alberio
Contributor

Fantastic!!  Congratulations!  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 644 (EQ) 646 (EX) 670 (TU) as of 11/2013
Current Score: 732 (EQ myFico) 740 (EX myFico) 740 (TU myFICO) as of 8-25-14
Lender Pulled Scores (3-19-14): 709(EX)/700(TU)/670(EQ)
Goal Score: 710 (Made it!!)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Thank you for your service! Thank You for sharing your great financial journey.  Congrats! Praying for a safe return and your getting a great home.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.