cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made a sizable payment on CC only to have them lower limit keeping me near maxed out.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Made a sizable payment on CC only to have them lower limit keeping me near maxed out.

I made a $900 payment on a CC only to have them lower my limit by about $1000 within a month.... so basically my credit/debt ratio did not change.

Is there anything I can do?

I know when they try to hike rates you can cancel and pay on current terms instead of accepting.

Can I do similer here?  Tell them to cancel and I will pay on orignal terms and with original credit limit being reported?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Re: Made a sizable payment on CC only to have them lower limit keeping me near maxed out.

I had this happen to me with interest rate. I was at 14.99 on a card and I made a near full payoff to have them send me a letter saying my new interest rate was 29.99 with no reasons as to why. I immediately cancelled the card. I would definitely cancel this card as long as you can pay it on the current terms.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Made a sizable payment on CC only to have them lower limit keeping me near maxed out.

for our info, please let us know the issuers.

Message 3 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I made a $900 payment on a CC only to have them lower my limit by about $1000 within a month.... so basically my credit/debt ratio did not change.

Is there anything I can do?

I know when they try to hike rates you can cancel and pay on current terms instead of accepting.

Can I do similer here?  Tell them to cancel and I will pay on orignal terms and with original credit limit being reported?

If you cancel the card the original limit will not be restored. The limit will be zero.

Message 4 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It's commonly called balance chasing.  They've deemed you a high risk and everytime you pay them down, they will decrease your CL to match it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 13
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Yup. If cancelled you'd only hurt your UTIL more. The limit won't factor but the balance will. 

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bahbahd wrote:

for our info, please let us know the issuers.

Chase is the issuer

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

It's commonly called balance chasing.  They've deemed you a high risk and everytime you pay them down, they will decrease your CL to match it.

So there is nothing I can do?  I am just doomed to low credit?   This just seems rediculous.  It's like a self fulfilling proficy. 

Message 8 of 13
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Someone posted a similar thread with Discover balance chasing yesterday. He called backdoor, had a convo and had full limit restored instantly. Now, I dont know how receptive chase will be, but what do you have to loose?

I'd try a credit analyst/upper level customer relations chat. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 9 of 13
tmobileguy
New Contributor

I had them do the same thing to me when all the banks were knocking down their CL's...only way to really stop it is to increase your credit score and not look like a 'credit risk'...

Starting Score: EQ 575 EX 595 TR 524
Current Score: EQ 643 EX ??? TR 638
Goal Score: EQ 300 EX 300 TR 300

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.