Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailed out a payment to original creditor instead of CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mailed out a payment to original creditor instead of CA

Just started getting back on track.  I had a school loan that was over 9 months late  and was sent to collections.  As soon as I got my first paycheck i mailed out a payment directly to the original loaner using an old invoice that I never sent.  What happens now?  are they going to tell the collection agency?  will they start invoicing me monthly again?  not sure if i made a smart move or a dumb move..but I just wanted to start getting some money out and that was the worst of all my accounts...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Mailed out a payment to original creditor instead of CA

Welcome to the forums,

It's going to depend on, if the OC still owns the debt or was it assigned to the CA.

Contact the OC and see if you can work thing out. I assume this was a private student loan and not a federal.

If it's a federal loan, I believe theres a way to rehab. I dont know how it works, you can ask on the Student loan board if it was.

Good Luck to you.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks..yes it was a private student loan so there is no rehab program..I have been trying to contact them via phone but always end up waiting on hold for over 30 minutes w no luck reaching a human

Message 3 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just started getting back on track.  I had a school loan that was over 9 months late  and was sent to collections.  As soon as I got my first paycheck i mailed out a payment directly to the original loaner using an old invoice that I never sent.  What happens now?  are they going to tell the collection agency?  will they start invoicing me monthly again?  not sure if i made a smart move or a dumb move..but I just wanted to start getting some money out and that was the worst of all my accounts...

They will more than likely inform the CA that debt is paid off and they will update from there. How recent was the collection added to your report? It is possible that the OC may be able to pull back the collection account if it is recent.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

has only been in collections for 3 months..i did not send them the full amount..just a couple of hundred dollars to show them i can start paying them back again...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.