cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major drop with TransUnion FAKO score this morning, any advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Major drop with TransUnion FAKO score this morning, any advice?

Credit Karma's TransUnion dropped 55 points to 565 while my Equifax increased 13 points 646.  Couple of charge off accounts were removed, along with my secured share loan with Golden 1 posted, according to Equifax report on Credit Karma, but no changes were updated in the TransUnion report.  There is no alert with myfico or Experian.  What can trigger such a large drop?  Thank you for your time.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Major drop with TransUnion FAKO score this morning, any advice?

Credit Karma scores and changes are useless so don’t sweat why a score changes there.

Worry only about FICO drops, not FAKO ones.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick reply.  I was freaking out because of the big drop and since most banks usually pull TransUnion.  I was thinking of buying a new copy of the report to find out why but what you said makes sense so I'm gonna wait couple more days until all my payoffs posted before pulling another copy of the reports from all three.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get useful FICO Score 8 credit scores using the CreditCheckTotal $1 trial -- just make sure to cancel the trial in a week or less.  You get 3 FICO Score 8s from all 3 bureaus for $1.  You can do it unlimited times if you want to.

Also, get a free FICO Score 8 from CreditScoreCard.com monthly -- it is truly free and gives you your Experian FICO Score 8.

One thing to know is that Credit Karma uses "Vantage Score 3" which is the same score that TransUnion was fined MILLIONS for in 2017 by the Feds for telling people it's a useful score.  Vantage Score is a cheap "educational" score that a lot of predatory credit card blogs provide in hopes you'll listen to their poor advice and sign up for a card (they can make a lot of $$$ if you sign up through them).

As such, I feel that Vantage Score unfairly penalizes new accounts -- which is probably why your score dropped.  New accounts can lower your chance of getting approved for new credit, so that penalty on Vantage Score probably makes sense but it isn't mathematically accurate.

Use Credit Karma to monitor your reports -- it can be pretty accurate and it shows a lot of useful information.  But don't rely on their scores for anything but generic information.  

Here's a chart of my Vantage Score versus my useful FICO Score 8 this year on TransUnion's bureau:

vantage-vs-fico8.png

They don't trend well together much.  Lots of opposite movements!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased it several days ago, on the 30th to be exact.  Can I cancel my trial membership today and re-purchase another copy tomorrow or should I just wait til after the 6th when most of zero balance cards report to CRA.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't done the CCT trial in like 6 months, but back in May you would actually get TWO free pulls with it -- one right away, and one like 7 or 10 days later.  Even if I cancelled the second free pull was available.

Not sure if they still offer that, though.  Hopefully someone else can answer that.

No need to pull too often -- I only pull a 3B once a month after all my credit accounts report for the new cycle.  I have my due dates/statements dates all posting between the 8th and 13th so I typically pull my 3B and scores around the 20th once everything has updated.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What confuses me is with CreditKarma, Equifax reports changes to my report yet with my subscritption to Myfico scorewatch, Equifax only monitor alert service, I have not received any alert of changes yet.  Anyway, will take your advice and wait till next week when everything is updated, then I'll pull another copy of my report, even though I'm very tempted to pay TransUnion today to get a copy of their report to find out what's going on. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get a daily pull of TransUnion from WalletHub.com -- free pull daily. They provide a useless FAKO identical to Credit Karma but they let you pull a fresh report daily.  WalletHub also has a nice credit report page.

Also, Credit Karma alerts are 100,000 times faster than any paid alerts I get.  MyFico is the slowest, sometimes 2-7 days late.  Credit Karma is almost always immediate for me.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have Wallethub but it only shows the score as of Nov. 1, 2017.  Thank you for the recommendation.    

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

WalletHub does update daily but sometimes late in the day and sometimes early.  Set an alarm on your phone to check in 4 hours!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.