cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make arraignments with CA BEFORE it hits report??? Help! Windham Professionals.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make arraignments with CA BEFORE it hits report??? Help! Windham Professionals.

I owe a university $4000. I tried making arraignments with them and they refused. They wanted me to pay $200+/mo which wasn't possible so they sent my debt to Windham Professionals. I haven't received a letter from the yet and it isn't reporting (yet). The university said they sent this debt Apr 17th.

A friend of mine said she has had things sent to collections and she contacted the collection agency before it showed up on her credit report to make arraignment to pay and they agreed to not report it with payment.

Has anyone successfully done this? I would want this agreement in writing not by phone.  I can only afford to pay $100/mo but I DO what to take care of this.  I'm just very angry because I tried telling the school I couldn't afford their payment but offered to pay $100 monthly.  I even offered to send in proof of income with my bills to show it literally was not possible to pay what they wanted and they didn't care.  I mean I know I owe the money but just very frustrated this was sent to collections when I wanted to pay. Smiley Sad Advice? Has anyone dealt with Windham? I have never heard of them.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Re: Make arraignments with CA BEFORE it hits report??? Help! Windham Professionals.

I have not dealt with Windham, but I had a medical debt and the OC said that if I could not pay in full then they would send me to a CA.  They did and as soon as I got the letter from the CA I called and talked to them and let them know that I want to pay the debt, but I could not afford to pay it all at once.  I also told them that I really could not afford to have it hit my credit.  I got moved up the managment chain and finally got to someone that said that as long as I made a monthly payment (we came to a mutual agreement on the amount) that they would not report.  They even sent me our agreement in writing.  However, the agreement is if I miss one payment, they are reporting.

Of course this may not be the norm, but it is certainly worth talking to the CA and pleading your case.  You never know unless you try.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Make arraignments with CA BEFORE it hits report??? Help! Windham Professionals.

Spoke to Windham Professionals today. They told me the "university" requires I pay 35% down to make a payment plan ($1500) I laughed and told the girl if I had $1500 to shell out I wouldn't have had a problem paying the $200+ monthly payment. She said they have a hardship department and that they would accept my monthly payment of $100 for six months only and then it would be "reviewed" again. I don't like the sound of this since it sounds like I will just get harrassed in 6 months to make more payment.  I told her I was trying to make arraignments before this hit my report and she said that the university would report it not them and that they did not OWN this debt, they were just hired to collect it.  The balance of the debt is still the same amount from the university.  So I feel this is somewhat true since most CA add a fee. 

I think I may contact the university again and see if I can still agree to the $200 payment plan and get a PT job or something. Smiley Sad Because if they don't own the debt why should I deal with them??

I was thinking of speaking to the business office again at the university to see if I can still do their payment plan and if not I was thinking of contacting the president of the univerity or the BBB. I mean I am TRYING TO GIVE PEOPLE MY MONEY!!! And no one wants it without a large lump sum.  I have heard that if you are not allowed to make a payment on a debt by a CA/OC that you do not have to pay the debt because they are preventing you from making a payment they say you owe (did that make sense?)

Anyways, Windham said that IF the university did report the debt that they would update it monthly that I was making a payment.  Sounds like a bunch of cr*p to me on that. Its not a loan.  Idk what to do with this????

Message 3 of 4
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

If the CA is telling you they don't own the debt, then yes - I would contact the OC again.  If you can find the email, address, or phone number to an executive, I would fire off an emal/letter/or phone call ASAP.  As frustrating as this all is, try to stay "sweet" and beg for assistance.  Repeat that you are trying very hard to do the right thing; you just need a little help and cooperation.  Whatever arrangements you make, try like the dickens to get it in writing.  If they refuse to put it in writing, I would send them a letter after the negotiations and say, "Pursuant to my telephone conversation with (name) on (date), I would like to confirm the agreements that were made - and list them."

Document every phone call - date, time, person(s) you speak with, details of conversation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.