Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making A Credit Card Pivot

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making A Credit Card Pivot

Hello MyFico Fam,

Have been reading forums here for awhile and trying to slide into posts that are most relevant to me but figured I'd post here and see what the greatest advice I can get. So basically, when I was born (or when I turned 18) my dad put an Amex under my social as an authorized user to build my credit. I had around a 730 in 2013, signed up for the amazon visa ($600 cl) and bank of america card ($2500 cl). I was really irresponsible and let both of them go into a c/o (120+ days no payments). The amazon is sitting with a collection agency and the BoA is just charged off. In 2016, I wanted to turn my credit situation around, I signed up for a bunch of really terrible high APR sub prime credit cards:

First National (Legacy) $0 / $600

Opened: July, 2016

First Savings $0 / $750

Opened: May, 2016

Credit One Bank (Visa) $0 / $600

Opened: August, 2015

Credit One Bank (Mastercard) $0 / $500

Opened: September, 2016

Walmart Store Card $0 / $770

Opened: June, 2016

Merrick Bank (Visa) $1368 / $1400

I also have a $15k auto loan from Santander Bank with a 19% APR (I'm hoping to refinance with Capital One for 7% in a few months)

Charge/Offs include: $860 (Amazon plus Interest), $2355 (Bank of America plus interest)

Current Collections: $600 (AT&T), Private College (Non-Financial Aid) Bill $485, PayPal Credit $3,522

Soon To Be In Collections: College Equipment Box $3,805

I paid off a collection which was $800 (Verizon Wireless)

Paid Off Collection: Capital One ($850)

Paid off First Premier in Good Standing and Closed July 2016

Paid off Fingerhut in Good Standing ($1200 CL) and Closed in 2016 (should I reopen this one?)

Current Credit Card Utilization (according to CreditKarma): 30% Balance: $1368 (Limit: $4,620)

Current Score: 589 (Transunion) 560 (Equifax) ((No Score Changes Yet, Estimated should be around 640)

My payment history is 99% (I have 3 late payments)

Credit History Age: 3yrs 3mos

16 Hard Inquires (within the last year)

and 49 total accounts and a $60k student debt load. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Making A Credit Card Pivot

Oh, i wanted to make an additional comment: Amazon Card (Synchrony Bank I believe) sued me in court, but couldn't garnish my wages. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and Welcome!

I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon,

Can you relist you cards with the dates you opened them?

I did this a number of years back... tried rebuilding with 1st Premier x2 and all its fees. In fact, 1st Premier is my oldest open account other than a store card. I recently closed the second 1st Premier and my scores jumped by 30 points give or take.

I recently added 4 much better cards (Discover, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and Sam's Club MC.

Yesterday I had 812 TU & 817 EQ AAoA of 6+ years.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, 812 is amazing, seriously, amazing job. That's really where I want to be when my student loans are paid off. Ideally, it would be awesome to have a JetBlue card with $2K, Amazon Prime Rewards for another $2k and another one that maybe has a bigger CL. I heard good things on Discover IT.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Hello MyFico Fam,

Have been reading forums here for awhile and trying to slide into posts that are most relevant to me but figured I'd post here and see what the greatest advice I can get. So basically, when I was born (or when I turned 18) my dad put an Amex under my social as an authorized user to build my credit. I had around a 730 in 2013, signed up for the amazon visa ($600 cl) and bank of america card ($2500 cl). I was really irresponsible and let both of them go into a c/o (120+ days no payments). The amazon is sitting with a collection agency and the BoA is just charged off. In 2016, I wanted to turn my credit situation around, I signed up for a bunch of really terrible high APR sub prime credit cards:

First National (Legacy) $600

First Savings $750

Opened: May, 2016

Credit One Bank (Visa) $500

Opened: August, 2015

Credit One Bank (Mastercard) $600

Opened: September, 2016

Walmart Store Card $690 / $900

Opened: June, 2016

Merrick Bank (Visa) $1348 / $1400

All of these are near max currently

I also have a $15k auto loan from Santander Bank with a 19% APR.

Charge/Offs include: $860 (Amazon plus Interest), $2355 (Bank of America plus interest)

Current Collections: $600 (AT&T), Private College (Non-Financial Aid) Bill $485, PayPal Credit $3,522

Soon To Be In Collections: College Equipment Box $3,805

I paid off a collection which was $800 (Verizon Wireless)

Paid Off Collection: Capital One ($850)

Paid off First Premier in Good Standing and Closed July 2016

Paid off Fingerhut in Good Standing ($1200 CL) and Closed in 2016 (should I reopen this one?)

Current Credit Card Utilization (according to CreditKarma): 95% Balance: $4,382 (Limit: $4,620)

Current Score: 589 (Transunion) 560 (Equifax)

My payment history is 99% (I have 3 late payments)

Credit History Age: 3yrs 3mos

16 Hard Inquires (within the last year)

and 49 total accounts and a $42k student debt load. 

So with the above data, my income is starting to come in more plentiful but not alot as I'm still in college. Where do I start? Should i pay off current sub prime credit cards and close them? Should I pay them off and keep them open and wait for a better opportunity for let's say a JetBlue card? My main goal is to get away from these terrible sub prime credit cards and be able to apply for a normal credit card without those terrible 30% APRs and $8.95/mo fees also with a decent CL. 

P.S. If I pay off that Amazon Credit Card collection, would I pay be able to re-apply to them again once my credit score is back in the 700s?

I'll have $2900 to put towards debts, which one to start with first?

I don't really know where to start and any help would be super appreciated. Smiley Happy

My advise is to start with your credit cards. Pay off as many as you can. You can close the ones with fees to avoid those fees if you like. That will boost your credit scores. Then you can employ AZERO. (Look it up on here) that’s what will help the quickest. Then you can work on paying off collections one by one when you save up. You can offer pay for delete. Or pay less as paid in full. Whatever the best a collection company will offer for you. Then I’d just garden and use the cards you have left and PIF. Time and pay off slowly as you can will heal your credit. Remember all negatives fall off after 7 years from DOFD. You can do this. Take a deep breathe and before you know it your scores will rise and better cards in the future. Just make sure you garden for a year or two. Don’t apply for any more cards while you tackle the accounts. Over time you I’ll be apple to reapply to banks again. Each one has a different time frame. And there are many articles in here on averages.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice is to pay off your account in which you were sued and a judgment was awarded. Depending on the creditors thst will have interest accruing. Judgment is public record and will show up on background checks for most jobs that are actually good. If your profession requires licensing will need to report that. You don’t want to worry about garnishment, Bank levies and liens on your social
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took the sound advice of Fico members here and paid in full a big chunk of these credit cards. I was accepted for Discover It Secured Card for $200 (Pre-Qualified). I'm hoping that at some point I can start paying down the other sub prime credit card and then start attacking the collections and charge offs. When you garden, does that mean buy something and pay it off in full to keep the cards active?

Message 7 of 8
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I took the sound advice of Fico members here and paid in full a big chunk of these credit cards. I was accepted for Discover It Secured Card for $200 (Pre-Qualified). I'm hoping that at some point I can start paying down the other sub prime credit card and then start attacking the collections and charge offs. When you garden, does that mean buy something and pay it off in full to keep the cards active?

Gardening is referring to not applying for new lines if credit (no hard pulls), but asking for CLI through soft pulls are encouraged. The purpose is to age accounts, grow credit lines and pay off debt (if you have it). http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Garden-Club-March-2018/td-p/5177338

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.