Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making some progress!! *Second Update 03/30*

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making some progress!! *Second Update 03/30*

So like a lot of people on here, and a lot of threads on here, I made some mistakes in the past with my credit and have been working the past 18 months to help rectify them. 

This year I hit the 7 1/2 year mark for the CAs that were on my report and nearly everything has fallen off. Two CAs remained, and popped up fairly recently, but were essentially errors, and are slated to be deleted. One was from an apartment I was at 2 years ago, charging a "cleaning" fee, and the other from DirectTV for not returning equipment. I got these handled as the apartment never did a final walk through with me, and i had returned the DirectTV equipment. 

That all being said once these two drop off I am hoping for a credit score boost. Currently on myFICO my scores all all between 630-640. I have 18 (also my AAoA) months of on time payments with two secured cards, Wells Fargo, and First Progress. Both are currently paid off and have low $300 limits. 

My question to you guys is where do I go from here? Should I wait for the last two baddies to get deleted and then apply for a legit card? What kind of score bump do you think I will see when the two recent CAs drop off? What cards should I look at with my limited history? Should I drop any more money into my secured lines to show higher limits before applying for anything else?

I don't have  mortgage, make about 50K, and have about 20k in student loans. 

Help me with where to go from here :-)

Thanks guys!!

*UPDATE* 03/29/15

So I got an update today that the last derog on my TU report had been deleted, I Pulled the updated reporty on myFICO and my TU score is upto 714. This report is clean of all derogs now.

I also saw that my EQ report is upto 704, but this still shows the derog from CBE Group, I am guessing because this is currently under dispute investigation that the CA item is being weighed differenly? Any advice on this one?

No move on my EX which is still showing 632. I am really hoping that this is going to change soon. 

I am hoping to finance a new car as soon as these all drop off. I want to use subarus college grad program which requires 0 derogs past or present. 

Another thing I wanted to ask you guys is should I wait another couple weeks to apply for anything? I saw that Barclay pulls mostly TU, and was thinking maybe I could pull that one off if they dont look at the other reports? Is applying for things with active dispute investigations an instant denial if they pull my other reports?

Thanks guys. 

UPDATE 3/30

So I had not heard back from my disputes, but saw that my FAKO went up on CK and no longer showed my last collection. I decided to go ahead and pull my remaining reports through myFICO, and the collections are gone!! This amazing but still has be worried since I havent received dispute completion emails???

I always had thought that if the item was still in dispute that it still shows on your report, but is marked as disputed?

Please help me with any insight guys, are these really gone if they are not on my report, or is this a in dispute mirage?!?!?!

Currently on myFICO TU: 714 EX: 710 EQ: 704 I really hope this is real, and that i just joined the 700 club and can get some real cards now!!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Making some progress!!

@Anonymous wrote:

So like a lot of people on here, and a lot of threads on here, I made some mistakes in the past with my credit and have been working the past 18 months to help rectify them. 

This year I hit the 7 1/2 year mark for the CAs that were on my report and nearly everything has fallen off. Two CAs remained, and popped up fairly recently, but were essentially errors, and are slated to be deleted. One was from an apartment I was at 2 years ago, charging a "cleaning" fee, and the other from DirectTV for not returning equipment. I got these handled as the apartment never did a final walk through with me, and i had returned the DirectTV equipment. 

That all being said once these two drop off I am hoping for a credit score boost. Currently on myFICO my scores all all between 630-640. I have 18 (also my AAoA) months of on time payments with two secured cards, Wells Fargo, and First Progress. Both are currently paid off and have low $300 limits. 

My question to you guys is where do I go from here? Should I wait for the last two baddies to get deleted and then apply for a legit card? What kind of score bump do you think I will see when the two recent CAs drop off? What cards should I look at with my limited history? Should I drop any more money into my secured lines to show higher limits before applying for anything else?

I don't have  mortgage, make about 50K, and have about 20k in student loans. 

Help me with where to go from here :-)

Thanks guys!!

First thing you want to do is have one of those cards report a small balance of no more than 9% of its CL, all cards at 0 is a Fico score drop. I would wait till the derogs are gone then go ahead and app for whatever unsecured cards you want. You want to have at minimum 3 open bankcards and 1 store card. You will probably see a good bump when those CAs are gone. I would not put any further funds into the secured cards and I would be looking to close them out after they pass 24 months of history and you are getting good unsecured cards.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply!!

That sounds like a pretty good plan, I ran a few pre approvals just to see, nothing showing yet for the ones I ran...Hopefully this will change when those derogs are removed. 

Ill go ahead and hit like a $20 charge on one of the cards to prevent $0. 

My goal is to close out the secured cards, im just worried about that hitting my score for AAoA. I guess I better wait until I get a few unsecured in the wallet. 

any specific cards you can think of that might consider my 18 month file to be acceptable? 

Message 3 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply!!

That sounds like a pretty good plan, I ran a few pre approvals just to see, nothing showing yet for the ones I ran...Hopefully this will change when those derogs are removed. 

My goal is to close out the secured cards, im just worried about that hitting my score for AAoA. I guess I better wait until I get a few unsecured in the wallet. 

any specific cards you can think of that might consider my 18 month file to be acceptable? 

AAoA isnt affected immediately by closing a positive account, they stay around for up to 10 years post close. I would look first to Chase for pre approvals once your derogs are gone, they typically look to TU for pre approvals and EX for the actual approval. You might also consider a Cap-1 QS. You really need to sit down and decide what you want in a card before you app for anything (cash back, travel rewards, low interest, etc) and then search for cards that will match. Barclays is another one to look at they have some pretty good cards. CUs are another place to look, your local ones and some nationals DCU, NASA, NAVY if you qualify.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again!

So anxious for these things to fall off so i can really start gardening, hopefully it will only be another month or so, CBE group (DirectTV) said they report to the bureaus every sunday, and the apartment company said to give it about 30 days. Now for the wait game. 

Hopefully the low limits i have had the last year and a half dont hold me back..

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm, your student loans will add to your AAoA. From my CR they do. I have AAoA 12+ yrs and all of my revolving TL have been opened recently. In the past 6 months.

You could let the cards you have garden, along with your SLs, until your baddies fall off. Take that time to research what you want in your cards, and after you have the derogs gone app for 2 bank cards. Cap 1 is good, you can get 2-3 cards with one set if hard pulls.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply!!

If you are 'opted out' you will not see anything on the pre-approval pages. Do you ever receive pre-approvals in the mail?

If you only have a couple of derogs, no lates on either account, 18 months of payment history, I see no reason you would not qualify for an unsecured card. I would suggest applying for a Cap One account. Don't worry about the hard pull.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replys guys!

This is encouraging stuff. I am on pins and needles waiting for these last two derogs to fall off. Its hard to wait, If my derogs were any older i would probably just apply now, but i've come this far, might as well just wait another month or so to improve my approval chances.

I didn't even think about the opt out, i may have done that years ago. I opted back in for now, maybe that will take some type of effect soon. 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

*UPDATE* 03/29/15

So I got an update today that the last derog on my TU report had been deleted, I Pulled the updated reporty on myFICO and my TU score is upto 714. This report is clean of all derogs now.

I also saw that my EQ report is upto 704, but this still shows the derog from CBE Group, I am guessing because this is currently under dispute investigation that the CA item is being weighed differenly? Any advice on this one?

No move on my EX which is still showing 632. I am really hoping that this is going to change soon. 

I am hoping to finance a new car as soon as these all drop off. I want to use subarus college grad program which requires 0 derogs past or present. 

Another thing I wanted to ask you guys is should I wait another couple weeks to apply for anything? I saw that Barclay pulls mostly TU, and was thinking maybe I could pull that one off if they dont look at the other reports? Is applying for things with active dispute investigations an instant denial if they pull my other reports?

Thanks guys. 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Making some progress!! *Update*

Congrats on your success! 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.