Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing cards to ensure monthly zero balances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Managing cards to ensure monthly zero balances

As I'm rebuilding my credit I've picked up 5 credit cards. I am determined never to let them (except for one at less than 10%) to report a balance.

But I've struggled personally to remember what I can use and when to make sure I have time to pay it off before the statement cuts. They all cut at random different times.

So, it's silly, but it helps me... and may help someone else... I came up with this idea. I took the date that each one cuts and then counted back 7 days. For example, if it cuts on the 20th, I've counted back to the 13th. 7 days would allow enough time for a charge to post and enough time for me to make a payment to post against the charges for the month.

So, using that example on the back of each of my cards in the signature area I wrote the "do not use dates"... ie: I wrote "13-20". So I know do not touch that card between those days in the month. AND, just to make sure I don't accidentally pull it out during those days, I file the card in a completely different part of the wallet during that window.

Silly, I know. But I've stopped using my debit card and I'm charging about 5-7k a month so this has helped me big time in making sure that I always have a zero balance reporting.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Managing cards to ensure monthly zero balances

Nice trick! Thanks for sharing...

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use sticky notes.   I have some small ones that don't affect how the card slides into my wallet - but when I pay the card off (a day or two before statement cut - I put a sticky on it with the date I can use it again.   I can see enough of the sticky so I don't pull it out.  

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just call them or use online chat and request them to change my due date/statement cut date. All my credit card statements cut on the first day of the month. I always wonder why people dont do it. 

One of your statements may bill with a longer cycle while this is being re-adjusted though, like it could take 49days to get your next statement. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just call them or use online chat and request them to change my due date/statement cut date. All my credit card statements cut on the first day of the month. I always wonder why people dont do it. 

One of your statements may bill with a longer cycle while this is being re-adjusted though, like it could take 49days to get your next statement. 

Some of my cards are fairly new and I was told that I had to wait until the first statement(s) cut.   I figure I'll go in around the beginning of the year and change dates to the 1st and 15th.   I don't want them ALL on the same day since I don't use the card for a few days to ensure the balance I want to report does.   I need a different card available.    So far this is working....after the holidays I'll simplifiy it.

Message 5 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

^^^ That's how I feel - I like having different dates throughout the month. No way would I want every card due date the same day. Right now I have a couple with due dates between the 1st and the 3rd, one at the 10th and 3 due on the 14th. Works for me. Don't know the rest because  I rarely use them...

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess this is a YMMV. I think OP was talking about the struggle to remember due dates/statement cut dates. If you dont carry balances or pay all balances in full each month(which is a good practice if you are rebuilding) which OP seem to indicate, having them report on the same day is something you don't have to remember. And if you trying to pay all balances before they cut, it also works for you you since you just pay before the end of the month. 

But again, it's a YMMV

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.