New Visitor
Albaangel26

Married name-credit question.....

Hi All, I am very very new here!

I have a question thats boggling my mind.

I Got married 2 years ago, and have kept my original last name instead of changing it over right away. My credit , has been very poor because of some stupid decisions in my youth. I have no idea what my credit score is but I haven't paid any debtors back so I can only imagine its terrible.

I recently went and started to get things changed into my married name. I broke my old cell phone and I applied for a new one and offered my new married name , I got approved( to my shock), with a 300 cap limit on the cell phone account.

About 4 months later I thought to myself, I need to get a secured credit card of some sort to try to repair some of this damage, so I applied for a CC, and got approved with a very small limit( 300 dollars), unsecured-- which completely shocked me again.

Is there a loop hole in the system? I feel like i slipped through the cracks on  getting a cell phone and a credit card. On my SSN I changed my last name, but, when i go to apply for phone/credit they didn't ask me to provide that specific information. Maybe I got set up as a "new" credit file accidently?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to believe my credit is starting to repair it'self but I don't want to get my hopes up just yet....

Thanks for reading

edited to add:

Oh , and one other question to add to my post,

if I did slip through the cracks, i assume they would eventually merge the new account with my original credit file.... so would my new found cred(phone/unsecured card) help me boost those scores? Thanks!

Shogun

Re: Married name-credit question.....

Hard to tell, could have not caught up to you yet, could become a split file.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

If there was only one SSN used then it's the same file. Maybe the baddies, if any, aren't impacting as bad and/or deleted already. Cell phones are fairly easy to obtain and some CCs tend to be easy to get even with bad credit. Definitely pull your reports though.

Frequent Contributor
NewbieReed

I rceently changed my last name -- went through a transition process with it too -- since my maiden name became my second middle name (very confusing to creditors lol).

My file was not split though nor did "the system" think that I was someone new. Your baddies have probably just aged and have started hurting your score less or something. . . Pull your CR and see if you have multiple names in the "name" section, it's always funny to see my 12 aliases on my credit profile.

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}