cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maryland Central Collection Unit removal help.

tag
jbrickbm
New Contributor

Re: Maryland Central Collection Unit removal help.

Email response back, this is what I got, any ideas what to do next?

Dear Mr. xxxxxx,

I was forwarded your email by the Director of the Central Collection Unit for review. Unfortunately the policy of the Central Collection Unit is that once an account has been referred for collection the account is also eligible to be reported to the credit reporting agencies of Experian and Trans Union. Upon reviewing your account I see that the balance referred was for an outstanding charges for Fall 2008 tuition and fees and books. Then with payments received 2-4-10 and 1-28-11 from your Maryland State Income Tax refund the account was paid in full. At no given time did you ever contact CCU to setup a payment plan, it was not until after the account was paid in full that you started contacting CCU to state that the account was sent in error or to dispute. At those times the representative at CCU advised you to contact the college with your dispute. If the college would have reduced the balance or refunded you because of an appeal they are asked to send CCU notification of that so that the credit history can be updated or reduced. Per my conversation with the college representative there was no appeal submitted in regards to these charges. Students are also notified in their billing that any delinquent balance will be referred to collection by the Central Collection Unit and referred to the credit bureaus. Therefore the policy is that accounts will stay reported for the 7 years allowed by law. Your account is eligible to drop 4/2015 which is 6 yrs 9 mos from the date the account was reported delinquent.

EQ MyFico : 738- 05/28/13TU Walmart: 680- 06/13TU CreditKarma 713- 06/13EX CreditSesame 706- 06/13
Discover IT$3,000, CapitalOne-Rewards$1400, CapitalOne-Rewards2$1000 , BestBuy$600, Orchard Bank$300, Walmart$150

Message 11 of 26
HisFirstLady
New Contributor

Keep trying

Starting Score: (3/26/2013) EQ Fico 603, TU Fico 569, EX(plus) 584
Current Score: (5/8/13) EQ Fico 670, TU Fico 729 EX Fico 689 (lender pull)
Goal Score: 700+ across the board........

Message 12 of 26
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send another one, also look for someone up the ladder.  Maybe a VP or CEO.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 26
mja
Valued Member

Hi Would one of you mind PM'ing me the e-mail address?  When I Googled it, I got what looked to be a generic e-mail.  I'd really appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Message 14 of 26
jbrickbm
New Contributor

Just an update for everyone.   I have emailed the director a second time with no response.  I just emailed him a third time.  If I do no receive a good response does anyone know who is higher then the director of the MD CCU?

EQ MyFico : 738- 05/28/13TU Walmart: 680- 06/13TU CreditKarma 713- 06/13EX CreditSesame 706- 06/13
Discover IT$3,000, CapitalOne-Rewards$1400, CapitalOne-Rewards2$1000 , BestBuy$600, Orchard Bank$300, Walmart$150

Message 15 of 26
blunderer
Established Contributor

You might also try sending a certified letter.  I remember once hearing that electronic mail is not always the best way to communicate with State Agencies.

If that doesn't work, you could always send a letter to the Lt. Governor.  As I'm sure you're aware, he'll be running for Governor and may find that responding to a constituent's request as simple as yours, could prove beneficial to him.  Just a suggestion. 

After getting nowhere with one of my local agencies, I've reached out to my State Senator in the past with quick and positive results and yes, it was an election year.  Of course that could've been coincidental and had no bearing on me getting such quick assistance.    Smiley Wink

Either way I hope you get some positive results although you seem to be progressing nicely without the removal.

Message 16 of 26
jbrickbm
New Contributor

I did get approved for a 3k CL Discover IT card.  To my luck the only bureau they pulled was Equifax.  That is the only bureau not showing this paid collection account.  I applied for the Amex BCE and was declined after they checked all 3 bureaus.  I requested a manual review and have my fingers crossed.  If manual review goes south, I will write a letter for one last ditch effort.  

If I can successfully get this off of my reports I will have scores in the 700's with all 3 bureaus.

Message 17 of 26
blunderer
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approval with Discover.

Hopefully your manual review will get you an approval with AMEX.  If it does your decision to forget about contacting MD CCU any further is a good one.  Just let it drop off when it's due to drop off.  Once you have AMEX in your wallet along with Discover you've hit the big time and as long as you adhere to all the rules provided for good credit on the board (0 balances on cc except one, 0 - 30% util, minimum inquiries each year, mix of types of credit, CLI, etc.) your scores will hit 700+ across the board in no time!

Keep us posted about the manual review.

Message 18 of 26
Trying2improve2
New Visitor

Can you please provide me with the email you used that got results?
Message 19 of 26
kblatt
New Contributor

Some will promise up and down that they have policies and are unable to do this type of thing, but it's a load of crap.  Just keep trying, keep sending them notices and calling.  Also, try not disputing the validity of the account (as the email you posted alluded to), simply beg for mercy and appeal to their emotional side as human beings.  

With this approach it took me a few tries before I got someone who would agree, but 5 out of the 5 companies I had issues which needed to be resolved all eventually agreed to remove the derog. marks from my report.  The question isn't CAN they do it, it's a matter of WHO in their organization will do it for you.  You need to find that person, and virtually beg in a straight forward and eloquent appeal to their emotional side that they help you, a fellow human being who simply made a mistake, out.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.