Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maryland Tax Lien Success 2015 - Vacated/Withdrawn/Deleted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maryland Tax Lien Success 2015 - Vacated/Withdrawn/Deleted

I want to thank everyone on the board. I have learned a lot over the past couple of months since I joined, and aggressively working to fix my credit profile and drastically increase my FICO scores. I have a great success I want to share since I owe the success to several people here who gave very succinct and accurate information on getting a tax lien removed. I know every state is different, but my dealing with the state of MD was fast and easy. 

After reading here how and whom to contact in MD, I wrote a very detailed email to the Comptoller of MD on Sunday 6/5/15, asking for a 2008 released tax lien ($1196) to be VACATED AND WITHDRAWN. On Monday the next day, I received a very nice reply stating that my email had been forwarded to the Comptroller Compliance section, and that I should here from a particular person soon. In the email, the responsder gave me the name and email of the person in charge in Compliance. I then resent my orignal email to her on Monday morning. On Tuesday the next day, I received a reply that a letter to VACATE and WITHDRAW the lien had been sent to the respective court, AND the same letter would be sent to all three CRAS, and I should receive my copy in ten days. I received the lpromised etter on 6/17 or 6/18. It was actually dated 6/5/15, the day of my original email request.  Talk about a quick response time. 

On Wednesday 6/22/15, I braced myself for what I assumed would be a herculean task in dealing with the CRAs. It was not. I contacted Experian first and explained I had a letter to VACATE and WITHDRAWN a tax lien from the MD Comptroller, which had also sent them the letter. The Experiean associate was very polite and said that my tax lien would fall off in August 2015. I told her I wanted it OFF my record ASAP, and that they needed to delete it ASAP since it was no longer valid or on the public record. I asked for a fax # to send Experian the letter (which I did) AND she gve me the website location to also upload the letter. I faxed and uploaded the letter to Experian.

I followed the same process with Equifax and Tansunion. The Equifax associate said the lien would fall off in February 2016. I politely stated, I wanted it OFF my record ASAP, and that they needed to delete it ASAP since it was no longer valid or on the public record. I asked for a fax # to send EQ and TU the letter (which I did) AND was given each website location to also upload the letter as part of the dispute process. I faxed and uploaded the letter to both EQ and TU.

Great news: I received an email from TU on 6/30/15, stating that my dispute had been resolved and the lien had been deleted from my credit profile. I called EQ on 6/29 and was told that the lien had been deleted on 6/27.  On 7/1 I received a letter from EX stating that the lien had been deleted. 

The great news for me and my take away for everyone else in a similar situation, particularly if you have a released or paid MD tax lien is that the process is very easy and doable. In little over 3 weeks I was able to get it Vacated/Withdrawn/Deleted, after thinking it might be on my record for quite some time. 

P.S. I would also like to encourage everyone in a similar situation to not be discouraged and dejected. I believe you might have an unpaid, but released tax lien, which you can still get Vacated/Withdrawn/Deleted. Why? In learning about tax liens, I noticed a released lien, might mean it was paid, or it might mean the state dropped the case, or decided to not pursue it for some statuatory, time or other reason. But if it is released, it is released. Period. And the reason for the release is stated on the MD Court Registry. 

So pursue the process and be free! 

My EX went up 5 points. TU went up 3. EQ went down 28. When I called EQ they could not explain the fall. I will be pestering them on Monday after the holiday. I want those hard earned 28 points back now. Smiley Happy

P.S.S. I learned a lot, read a lot, and found out a lot about other people's past public records in working to get my public record 7 year tax lien disappeared.

I'm free and rejoicing! 

P.S.S. I have only 1 other negative thing on my credit profile, and just this Wednesday  (1 week after contacting the CRAs to delete the lien) it too was resolved shockingly. Once it is removed I will update with my story. I really prayed a lot in the days leading up to contacting the biggest telecom/wireless carrier to have the wisdom and opportunity to talk with someone friendly and with an open mind and ear, about how to deal with getting a $149 chargeoff deleted or PFD if the bill was mine. 

Happy 4th of July Holiday. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Maryland Tax Lien Success 2015 - Vacated/Withdrawn/Deleted

Grats to getting the withdrawal Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I read your story and I have a very similar situation. I just paid off my MD tax lien and received a Release of Lien letter from the state. I sent a copy of the letter to all credit bureaus and followed up with a phone call. I was able to get in touch with TU, EX, but EQ does not have a phone number I can find. While speaking to the other bureaus  they informed me that although the lien may be satisfied, it would be on my credit reports for 7 years. I'm not sure what I did or not do but where do I go from here?

Your response is greatly appreciated

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to thank everyone on the board. I have learned a lot over the past couple of months since I joined, and aggressively working to fix my credit profile and drastically increase my FICO scores. I have a great success I want to share since I owe the success to several people here who gave very succinct and accurate information on getting a tax lien removed. I know every state is different, but my dealing with the state of MD was fast and easy. 

After reading here how and whom to contact in MD, I wrote a very detailed email to the Comptoller of MD on Sunday 6/5/15, asking for a 2008 released tax lien ($1196) to be VACATED AND WITHDRAWN. On Monday the next day, I received a very nice reply stating that my email had been forwarded to the Comptroller Compliance section, and that I should here from a particular person soon. In the email, the responsder gave me the name and email of the person in charge in Compliance. I then resent my orignal email to her on Monday morning. On Tuesday the next day, I received a reply that a letter to VACATE and WITHDRAW the lien had been sent to the respective court, AND the same letter would be sent to all three CRAS, and I should receive my copy in ten days. I received the lpromised etter on 6/17 or 6/18. It was actually dated 6/5/15, the day of my original email request.  Talk about a quick response time. 

On Wednesday 6/22/15, I braced myself for what I assumed would be a herculean task in dealing with the CRAs. It was not. I contacted Experian first and explained I had a letter to VACATE and WITHDRAWN a tax lien from the MD Comptroller, which had also sent them the letter. The Experiean associate was very polite and said that my tax lien would fall off in August 2015. I told her I wanted it OFF my record ASAP, and that they needed to delete it ASAP since it was no longer valid or on the public record. I asked for a fax # to send Experian the letter (which I did) AND she gve me the website location to also upload the letter. I faxed and uploaded the letter to Experian.

I followed the same process with Equifax and Tansunion. The Equifax associate said the lien would fall off in February 2016. I politely stated, I wanted it OFF my record ASAP, and that they needed to delete it ASAP since it was no longer valid or on the public record. I asked for a fax # to send EQ and TU the letter (which I did) AND was given each website location to also upload the letter as part of the dispute process. I faxed and uploaded the letter to both EQ and TU.

Great news: I received an email from TU on 6/30/15, stating that my dispute had been resolved and the lien had been deleted from my credit profile. I called EQ on 6/29 and was told that the lien had been deleted on 6/27.  On 7/1 I received a letter from EX stating that the lien had been deleted. 

The great news for me and my take away for everyone else in a similar situation, particularly if you have a released or paid MD tax lien is that the process is very easy and doable. In little over 3 weeks I was able to get it Vacated/Withdrawn/Deleted, after thinking it might be on my record for quite some time. 

P.S. I would also like to encourage everyone in a similar situation to not be discouraged and dejected. I believe you might have an unpaid, but released tax lien, which you can still get Vacated/Withdrawn/Deleted. Why? In learning about tax liens, I noticed a released lien, might mean it was paid, or it might mean the state dropped the case, or decided to not pursue it for some statuatory, time or other reason. But if it is released, it is released. Period. And the reason for the release is stated on the MD Court Registry. 

So pursue the process and be free! 

My EX went up 5 points. TU went up 3. EQ went down 28. When I called EQ they could not explain the fall. I will be pestering them on Monday after the holiday. I want those hard earned 28 points back now. Smiley Happy

P.S.S. I learned a lot, read a lot, and found out a lot about other people's past public records in working to get my public record 7 year tax lien disappeared.

I'm free and rejoicing! 

P.S.S. I have only 1 other negative thing on my credit profile, and just this Wednesday  (1 week after contacting the CRAs to delete the lien) it too was resolved shockingly. Once it is removed I will update with my story. I really prayed a lot in the days leading up to contacting the biggest telecom/wireless carrier to have the wisdom and opportunity to talk with someone friendly and with an open mind and ear, about how to deal with getting a $149 chargeoff deleted or PFD if the bill was mine. 

Happy 4th of July Holiday. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I followed your steps above and searched the MyFico forums to find the initial email address you used. This is what I got back from them... Anyone interested in doing the same process, PM me for specific emails and phone numbers, as I was unsure if it would be a violation of MyFico rules to post email addresses and phone numbers to specific people.

To confirm: i used 'MDCOMPTROLLER@comp.state.md.us' as the address to send my initial request to Maryland to Vacate and Withdraw my released lien.

Re: Status of my State of Maryland Paid/Released Tax Lien (Secure)

Dear Mr. Xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting the Comptroller's Office. To better assist you, I am forwarding your request to vacate and withdraw your tax lien to Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx, Director of the Compliance Division, to have her assigned representative respond to you.  If you wish to contact the Compliance Division directly, you can send an email to Ms. Xxxxxxx at xxxxxxxx@comp.state.md.us or call 410-767-XXXX.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Xxxxxx Xxxxxx
Administrative Officer
Comptroller of Maryland
xxxxxxxx@comp.state.md.us
410-260-XXXX

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

breezy062 wrote:

I followed your steps above and searched the MyFico forums to find the initial email address you used. This is what I got back from them... Anyone interested in doing the same process, PM me for specific emails and phone numbers, as I was unsure if it would be a violation of MyFico rules to post email addresses and phone numbers to specific people.

To confirm: i used 'MDCOMPTROLLER@comp.state.md.us' as the address to send my initial request to Maryland to Vacate and Withdraw my released lien.

Re: Status of my State of Maryland Paid/Released Tax Lien (Secure)

Dear Mr. Xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting the Comptroller's Office. To better assist you, I am forwarding your request to vacate and withdraw your tax lien to Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx, Director of the Compliance Division, to have her assigned representative respond to you.  If you wish to contact the Compliance Division directly, you can send an email to Ms. Xxxxxxx at xxxxxxxx@comp.state.md.us or call 410-767-XXXX.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Xxxxxx Xxxxxx
Administrative Officer
Comptroller of Maryland
xxxxxxxx@comp.state.md.us
410-260-XXXX

I realize this thread is quite old, but I just wanted to say thank you for your post. After checking the status of a completely unrelated dispute today, I saw that I had a public record of a lien from Maryland. This negative was not on my credit report on Tuesday or Wednesday...just today. The lien was filed in November and I didn't receive notice. Also, I was collecting unemployment the majority of the tax year in question. I have no idea what will happen, but your post was helpful and I have written the comptroller email address you provided.

Here's hoping!

Message 5 of 12
somotao
Frequent Contributor

First of all a big thank you to Redeyz, if it was not for your post, I would not know where to begin.

I also have a tax lien with Maryland and it has not be easy dealing with them. In my case Maryland claimed I owed them an amount for 2008 state taxes. I had to refile the state taxes and in the end it was Maryland that owed me. I really did not care much about them owing me, I just want the tax lean off my credit reports.

I came back to this trusted forum and found your post. and yesterday morning I sent an email to the comptroller. Within a few hours I received the followin response 

"Good afternoon Mr. XXXXXX;

Thank you for your recent email inquiry. I reviewed your account, your request for Vacate and Withdrawal order issued to remove the lien placed against you, your request has been granted. We will file the Vacate and Withdrawal order in the circuit court where the lien is filed, a copy will be mail to you for your records.

I apologize but we do not know how long the Circuit Court or the Credit Bureaus take to update their files. You will need to contact those agencies in reference to processing time.

Thanks,

xxxxx xxxxx

Group Manager, Collection Section"

As soon as I receive the letter, I will be following up with all Credit reference agencies to get the lien removed.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 6 of 12
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@somotao wrote:

First of all a big thank you to Redeyz, if it was not for your post, I would not know where to begin.

I also have a tax lien with Maryland and it has not be easy dealing with them. In my case Maryland claimed I owed them an amount for 2008 state taxes. I had to refile the state taxes and in the end it was Maryland that owed me. I really did not care much about them owing me, I just want the tax lean off my credit reports.

I came back to this trusted forum and found your post. and yesterday morning I sent an email to the comptroller. Within a few hours I received the followin response 

"Good afternoon Mr. XXXXXX;

Thank you for your recent email inquiry. I reviewed your account, your request for Vacate and Withdrawal order issued to remove the lien placed against you, your request has been granted. We will file the Vacate and Withdrawal order in the circuit court where the lien is filed, a copy will be mail to you for your records.

I apologize but we do not know how long the Circuit Court or the Credit Bureaus take to update their files. You will need to contact those agencies in reference to processing time.

Thanks,

xxxxx xxxxx

Group Manager, Collection Section"

As soon as I receive the letter, I will be following up with all Credit reference agencies to get the lien removed.

Congrats!

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to have two satisfied liens removed from my credit report.  I see that some mentioned using a specific email format when requesting to have liens removed/vacated from their credit report.  Can anyone share the email format used when requesting removal?

Thank you.

Message 8 of 12
somotao
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am trying to have two satisfied liens removed from my credit report.  I see that some mentioned using a specific email format when requesting to have liens removed/vacated from their credit report.  Can anyone share the email format used when requesting removal?

Thank you.

Are you referring to the email that is sent to the Comptroller of MD?

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.