Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Help Needed PLEASE

tag
Erika3o3
Regular Contributor

Massive Help Needed PLEASE

Ok so to make a long story short I am 26 my husband is newly 29. We have made our mistakes and bit off way more than we can chew. We have 3 children. We live off of 1 income because we do not have ANY help from family or anything. So i am a stay at home mom and my husband works. Right now we live check to check with 3 personal loans (we ended up pulling them out due to a complicated preganancy and delivery with our last child born at the end of last year) We are barely scraping by. How can we get our debt paid off (hopefully without filing bankruptcy. Anyways how can we get our debt paid off while living check to check on 1 income???  We are ready to get life back on track and get to where we need to be. I used to come on this site years ago and life got crazy. however i know this site was full of helpful people last time I was here. We have 60k + in debt and thats includes 23k debt to a vehicle we are paying on.

Fico 8 Scores as of 5/29/21
Equifax: 606 / Transunion 641 / Experian 647

Captial One Platinum: $500
Capital One QuickSilver: $2000
Discover IT: $1,500
Kohls: $300
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Massive Help Needed PLEASE

you deserve more than a pat in the back for taking care of the kiddos and caring enough to ask how to handle your debt

the community would perhaps be able to give their thoughts better if you are willing to share a bit more info

1/ monthly income

2/ monthly due on the auto loan, how much interest

3/ monthly due on the other 37k loans, how much interest

4/ have you ordered your free credit reports form the 3 cras, any derogs on the reports

5/ any open credit cards, balances, cerdit limits

with regards to filing for bankruptcy, for me, it largely depends on your income

good luck erika, hope keep us posted

Message 2 of 8
Erika3o3
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply. So sorry I am replying so late. We have had a lot going on.

1) Monthly income is at least 4,000 sometimes a little more.

2) Monthly due on auto loan is 598 and interest is 15%

3) Personal loan 1 - about 4.5k  @ approx 14% interest

Personal loan 2 - is about 5k @ 16% interest

Personal loan 3 - is about 6k @ 14% interest

Personal loan 3 ( conns credit)  - 2.2k (not sure on the interest)

Personal loan 4 ( conns credit) 2.7k (not sure on interest)

Car Loan  - 22.6k

4) No we havent ordered credit report in a litlte while. However there are 30 and possible 60 day lates at this point.

5) I have closed all credit cards at this poing ( probably a stupid idea) there was 3 capital one cards with balances of 1.5k , 1.3k and 2k. Also 3 comenitiy bank cards from Victoria Secret with 900 balance, Express with 149 balance, and Buckle with 400 balance.

We want to avoid filing bankruptcy at all costs. Thank you all for your time and we hope to get some helpful insight!

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would recommmend seeking advice from a reputable debt counseling service, who can offer alternatives.

Message 4 of 8
Erika3o3
Regular Contributor

I have spoken to them before. They basically tell me to sell my stuff etc. which I have already done. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Erika3o3 wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply. So sorry I am replying so late. We have had a lot going on.

@3) Personal loan 1 - about 4.5k  @ approx 14% interest

@    Personal loan 2 - is about 5k @ 16% interest

@    Personal loan 3 - is about 6k @ 14% interest

Car Loan  - 22.6k

4) No we havent ordered credit report in a litlte while. However there are 30 and possible 60 day lates at this point.

5) I have closed all credit cards at this poing ( probably a stupid idea) there was 3 capital one cards with balances of 1.5k , 1.3k and 2k. Also 3 comenitiy bank cards from Victoria Secret with 900 balance, Express with 149 balance, and Buckle with 400 balance.

We want to avoid filing bankruptcy at all costs. Thank you all for your time and we hope to get some helpful insight!

You need to establish a strict budget, if you have not already done so. Cut out ALL unecessary spending. Stop any retirement savings plans from hubbies work (401K, etc). Pay absolute minimums on the credit cards, and any excess leftover, no matter how small goes on the smallest balance. As soon as that one is paid, roll its payment into the next smallest balance, and so on. Once all of the credit cards are paid off, then start doing the same thing with the installment accounts.

Message 6 of 8
pmarti8
Valued Member

I am so sorry your family has found itself in this pickle.  Have your heard of Dave Ramsey?  He has a book you should be able to check out from your library called Total Money Makeover.  It will change your life and how you view debt.  He teaches the "debt snowball" method which is making all of your minimum payments but throwing whatever extra income towards your smallest debt.  So say that's your $900 Victoria Secrets card.  The minimum on it is $20.00.  After all of your minimums plus necessities are paid you have an extra $250 left  (you should first get a $1000 emergency fund before you do any attempt to pay off debt.) you would pay $250 towards that Victoria's secret card each month until it is paid in full.  You then would take that $270 that's freed up ($250 extra plus the $20 minimum payment) and move on to the next smallest debt and pay that $270 to it each month until its paid in full.  You see, as you pay off each debt you free up extra money and instead of spending it, you take that ever increasing amount and tackle your debts one by one. 

Now you must be saying we don't have an extra $250, in fact we can't even make our minimum payments! Then you have an income problem.  I know you are a stay at home mom but you should work part-time when your husband is off.  Have you considered doing in-home childcare or baby sitting?  An extra $600-$800 a month would do much to help you all get out of debt much faster. 

Starting Score: 07/2010 TU 541 EQ 593 Exp 529
Current Score:TU 654 EQ 644 EX 594 br>Goal Score:ALL 660 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Erika3o3 wrote:

@3) Personal loan 1 - about 4.5k  @ approx 14% interest

@    Personal loan 2 - is about 5k @ 16% interest

@    Personal loan 3 - is about 6k @ 14% interest

Car Loan  - 22.6k

You need to establish a strict budget, if you have not already done so. Cut out ALL unecessary spending. Stop any retirement savings plans from hubbies work (401K, etc). Pay absolute minimums on the credit cards, and any excess leftover, no matter how small goes on the smallest balance. As soon as that one is paid, roll its payment into the next smallest balance, and so on. Once all of the credit cards are paid off, then start doing the same thing with the installment accounts.

Cable, coffee, etc, pause everything that isn't needed to live - you can use the internet at the library. Grocery shop at the CHEAPEST store. Coupon clip. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.