Contributor
kaymom

Medical Bill-Statute of Limitations

I live in Mississippi and from my understanding the statute of limitations to collect on medical bills is three years. If date of service was 3/27/2009, it's been over three years. The doctor office started sending me a bill on this 08-19-2012. I received a letter from collection agency a few days ago. How should I handle this?

Starting Score: 561
Current Score: 638
Goal Score: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
swtneka

Re: Medical Bill-Statute of Limitations

The SOL for Ms is 3 years from the DOFD so that means they can not sue you but you still owe the debt. They can still harass you until paid by phone calls, letters, and reporting u to the CRA.

This is funny bc I just got a nasty call from a CA and did some research to find out about SOL in Ms. Im from Hattiesburg. I  just setup a payment plan cuz I am still in the SOL and didn't want to risk it.

Contributor
kaymom

I willing to pay what I owe. But, doctor office has sent me two bills, with two different amounts. I'm in the process of sending collection agency a DV letter. I will make payment arrangments or ask for settlement.

Starting Score: 561
Current Score: 638
Goal Score: 640

guiness56

Send the CA a DV.  Contact the OC and ask if you pay them directly will the recall the debt from the CA.

Shogun

guiness56 wrote:

Send the CA a DV.  Contact the OC and ask if you pay them directly will the recall the debt from the CA.

+1

If the OC recalls it, then the CA no longer has collection authority and should delete.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+