Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bill-Statute of Limitations

tag
kaymom
Contributor

Medical Bill-Statute of Limitations

I live in Mississippi and from my understanding the statute of limitations to collect on medical bills is three years. If date of service was 3/27/2009, it's been over three years. The doctor office started sending me a bill on this 08-19-2012. I received a letter from collection agency a few days ago. How should I handle this?

A Fresh Start
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

Re: Medical Bill-Statute of Limitations

The SOL for Ms is 3 years from the DOFD so that means they can not sue you but you still owe the debt. They can still harass you until paid by phone calls, letters, and reporting u to the CRA.

This is funny bc I just got a nasty call from a CA and did some research to find out about SOL in Ms. Im from Hattiesburg. I  just setup a payment plan cuz I am still in the SOL and didn't want to risk it.

Message 2 of 5
kaymom
Contributor

I willing to pay what I owe. But, doctor office has sent me two bills, with two different amounts. I'm in the process of sending collection agency a DV letter. I will make payment arrangments or ask for settlement.

A Fresh Start
Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Send the CA a DV.  Contact the OC and ask if you pay them directly will the recall the debt from the CA.

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

Send the CA a DV.  Contact the OC and ask if you pay them directly will the recall the debt from the CA.

+1

If the OC recalls it, then the CA no longer has collection authority and should delete.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.