Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bill Went to Collections

tag
rsrs
New Visitor

Medical Bill Went to Collections

I have been searching online and came upon this site to see if I could get any advice (good or bad).

I had a medical bill and I was paying $75 a month online. I received monthly bills which kept me up to date with what I owed. When I went to make my last payment ahile back online it said my account was no longer active. I contacted the number for trouble logging from the online service provider and the lady I spoke with said she could not find the account and provided me with the hospital billing department to call.  I called the billing department and they did not answer; I left my name, number, and brief message regarding my account. I received no response. I called again and was suppose to hear back from them and never heard back. Since I did not hear back and from then on NEVER received a monthly bill (which I always used to receive), I thought I was fine (I was thinking maybe the insurance coverage was previously wrong and covered more than what I previously thought). Now 6 months later I just checked my credit and it's with a collection company and my credit score just took a huge hit. If I just received ONE bill knowing that it was still active I would of contacted them immediately. Anyways, I contacted the hospital billing department yesterday and the lady I talked with said it looks like they had the correct address and wrong number. She also said it looked like the online servicer had the correct address; however, had some number to contact me on file that was completely wrong. I asked if I could pay amount in full  and if so, if I could get this removed from credit report as a collection; however, they said I could pay them in full; however, it will still show as a collection.  I said I was going to call the online service provider to find out why I never received a bill in the last 6 months. Well I called the online service provider and all representatives were busy and to leave my name, number, and brief message. I have yet to hear back from them. I called the hospital billing apartment again today to tell them I cannot get ahold of the online service provider and they did not return my call. The lady I talked with today said it looks like they (billing department) had my number right; however, had my address wrong (lady yesterday said vice versa). She was going to look into it and give me a call back and again, I have not heard back. I'm willing to pay this amount in full (and would have if I have known it would of gone this far), but now it's with NCO. NCO has yet to contact me; however, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I could do? Do I just pay hospital full amount even though it will still show as derogatory account? Do pay for delete letters work if sent to NCO? Would anythig work? Just frustrating that they never contacted me about the late bill, never sent me a bill notifying bill was late, or returned any of my calls first time around.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Medical Bill Went to Collections

NCO is the beast.  The hospital needs to pull the account.  Keep calling, however, tis better to have paid off NCO than non-paid NCO (for those pullers that actually look for any delinquencies, like my credit union).  But keep calling, or write to higher ups, administrators?, and keep asking for pay for delete.

Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 4
rsrs
New Visitor

Thanks for the response! The hopsital had my old address on file, but the last bill I received was in May. I didn't move out until August so I should've still been receiving the bill. Plus all my other mail was forwarded to me to my new address without any problems. Is there any leg to stand on asking the hospital to pull the account due to them not having correct information on file? I would think that their online billing provider and the hospital should have some sort of internal controls so that both have the correct information for a client. I was not sure if the hospital could pull the account from NCO since now techincially NCO owns the debt. I've been reading online and some say since NCO owns the debt, most of the time they will be unwilling to give the debt back to original debtor. If the hospital can, then I will do whatever it takes for the hospital to pull the account.

Message 3 of 4
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

NCO Is showing an $800 bill I missed for medical.  I finally realized there was no way the bill was that high.  They are hip on the Hippaa process, you could google that.  The bill was the total fault of the OC, and they are attempting refiling of insurance, but are not willing to pull from credit.  So after I get a few ducks lined up, then I need to beg and plead with the folks for gw pulls.  That's it.  Even when it's their fault, tis not to remove, unless you sue them or something.

Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.