Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Bill

I have no idea where to post this.  A few years ago I was turned over to collections but didn't know it.  Received a visit from sheriff which was for a judgement against me for small medical bills for my kids that insurance supposedly didn't cover even though we were at the 100% coverage time frame. 

My husband was listed as guarantor.  How could they have sued "me" for the money owed?  I was not educated enough then to know exactly how to handle this situation so I paid it all.  They are still listed on my credit reports and also show two unpaid but they are NOT unpaid.  I am now wondering if there's anything I can do since it shouldn't have come to me to begin with. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Medical Bill

Is your husband ex? Small claims court to get money turned over to you. Consult nacnet (google) for consumer attorney's, they can help you with this. Also, a judgement that the husband was responsible should help with CRA's to remove from reports.

Keep up with BBB complaint agains t collection agency that this was not your debt (after small claims case). But that judgement that he owes the debt, not you, will be the big kicker.

If husband is not ex, well, just consult consumer attorney.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Is your husband ex? Small claims court to get money turned over to you. Consult nacnet (google) for consumer attorney's, they can help you with this. Also, a judgement that the husband was responsible should help with CRA's to remove from reports.

Keep up with BBB complaint agains t collection agency that this was not your debt (after small claims case). But that judgement that he owes the debt, not you, will be the big kicker.

If husband is not ex, well, just consult consumer attorney.

No, not an ex husband.  He's always the guarantor on doctor paperwork.  I had the judgement deleted already.  Just started wondering how I ended up being the responsible person that they went after and not the correct person and wondered if that would work in having these collections removed from my credit reports.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old are they? Are you still with the same insurance company? This seems to be a billing issue between the provider and the insurance. Most likely some one fat fingered the policy number while typing it in and it never got caught by anyone. It happens A LOT.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

4-5 years old and no, not same insurance.  We have three Type 1 diabetic children.  VERY expensive and was costing us $1800/month just to HAVE insurance and that's before using it monthly for the tons of things they have to have just to stay alive.  But let's not get me started on that!

@Anonymous wrote:

How old are they? Are you still with the same insurance company? This seems to be a billing issue between the provider and the insurance. Most likely some one fat fingered the policy number while typing it in and it never got caught by anyone. It happens A LOT.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My condolences on the health issues. My SIL had two kids with cystic fibrosis - the medical insurance issues were a nightmare.

Too bad its not the same insurance, you possibly could have gotten them to cover it....

Message 6 of 8
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Suggest picking up consumer attorney at nacnet (google). They can give you advice on hiw to proceed. Too bad they don't qualify for disability, Medicare fat fingered mistakes (I've had them) must be deleted.
Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which judgments did you have deleted already?  The one's you'd already paid/satisfied or the 2 that were not?

Having read up on laws in another state (regarding 2 default judgments against my wife from before we were married) I learned that in her home state the husband is automatically liable for the wife's debt regardless of contract signatures.  Could it be a similar state law on your end?  Where it's irrelevant if your husband signed as guarantor or not, since the patients were minors and you too are a legal guardian, they can come after you as well?   Just a thought...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.