Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Billing Dispute - will it work?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Billing Dispute - will it work?

Hello!

I have a medical bill for 862.00 reporting from ARS Account Resolution on all three reports.  I called ARS and they referred me to the Cleveland Clinic Hospital System, whose medical records department informed me that it was for an ER visit in 2010.  They said that the insurance claim had been denied.  I remember the visit, but had no idea about the bill. I moved to a new state shortly after, and did not receive a bill or call. 

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I was just starting to clean up my credit report.  I have paid several items I honestly owed, and am not averse to taking responsibility.

After some checking, I confirmed that I was, indeed, covered under my ex-husbands insurance at the time. The insurance company said that the claim had been denied because there was some code on the claim that indicated that I had another form of insurance.  This was not the case!  I belive this was a coding/biling error on the part of the hospital system.  I immediately appealed the decision with the insurance company, and was denied because of the amount of time that had passed.  They informed me that the appeal denial was permanent. 

I called the hospital just now to ask if they could adjust the charge to my original copayment only and I would pay right then. It was then that I was informed that their system has been purged of any financial/billing information regarding this charge. Not only did she have nothing to adjust, but their system has no archived or active financials on the situation at all.

Because of what I believe to be the hospital's error, I do not believe this is a valid charge.  What are my chances of disputing with all three CRA as Invalid to have this removed from my reports?  If the hospital cannot verify the bill, how much more information could the collection agency have to back up their claim? I'm hoping not much.

Any feedback is welcome.  I don't want negative ramifications from a dispute, and will do so only if it seems like I have a leg to stand on.  I will PFD as a last resort, but obviously prefer not to.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Billing Dispute - will it work?

Send the CA a DV and see what they do.     http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Debt-Validation/m-p/7133

I believe you have a case here due to the OCs obvious mistakes.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.