cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bills : Daughter under 1 has sickle cell and medical bills all over credit....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Bills : Daughter under 1 has sickle cell and medical bills all over credit....

My daughter will be 1 yr old next month and she has sickle cell. I have medical bills all over my credit. I owe Methodist Hospital $7789.00, I owe Baptist $882.00, and emergency room $172.00. I do want to make payment arrangements with them so they can come off my credit as collections. St. Jude and my job insurance covered a lot of expenses or this would be a lot more so I am ever thankful, but it is clogging up my credit of medical collections. Any information and/or advices, this site has been a great help for me, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Bills : Daughter under 1 has sickle cell and medical bills all over credit....

I do not have advice, but know I am praying for you and your little one every night.  

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Bills : Daughter under 1 has sickle cell and medical bills all over credit....

I work for a medical billing company and sympathize with your  situation. Have you contacted the hospitals regarding any sort of financial assistance programs they offer? Both are affiliated with religious groups, and ALL of the non-profits are required by law to provide a certain amount of financial assistance/write-offs to high need patients each year to maintain non-profit status. Depending on other factors--income, available credit, etc--many will negotiate significant discounts for payment in full, generally in 1-3 month time frame. Depending on your state, and again, income level, your daughter could qualify for Medicaid benefits. Many states have share of cost options for those who would not otherwise qualify for full traditional coverage. Essentially, share of cost requires the patient to meet a certain amount of medical debt each month before the benefits become active. Most states will retroact coverage three months from the application date. The hospitals should have a patient advocate or social worker who would be able to address all of the programs specific to that hospital. Also know there are many unaffiliated agencies that may provide at least partial assistance for balances. A good patient advocate should definitely be aware of any that exist in your area.

Good luck, and know that I am keeping you in my prayers.

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My daughter will be 1 yr old next month and she has sickle cell. I have medical bills all over my credit. I owe Methodist Hospital $7789.00, I owe Baptist $882.00, and emergency room $172.00. I do want to make payment arrangements with them so they can come off my credit as collections. St. Jude and my job insurance covered a lot of expenses or this would be a lot more so I am ever thankful, but it is clogging up my credit of medical collections. Any information and/or advices, this site has been a great help for me, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!!!!

Contact the hospitals and see if they offer financial aid.  Most of them do.  I have seen entire bills get erased using it.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Srry to hear she having complications already ... that's very young ... wish you the best of luck.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all so much. I will contact the hospital about financial aid. Should I try to contact them regarding payment arrangements?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.