Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bills/Insurance and Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Bills/Insurance and Collections

Hi everyone and thank you for any and all being given!

In 2009, I was out of state (NC) during which time I had numerous hospital visits via ambulance (uncontrolled epilepsy) thankfully I was insured, both hospital and ambulance were given my insurance card and info. After a few months we decided we were going to stay and move everything from NJ, not once did I ever receive a bill for anything. Fastforward 5 years, I pulled all of my CR's, when I decided to get serious about my credit and score, and what I found were 9 collection accounts from the ambulance company, again never did I receive a bill from them and I'm sure by the time it went to collections I was already in the new house. I sent a DV letter and they sent back a computer generated "itemized" print out or at least that is what they are calling it. I called the insuance company that I was insured by at the time to see about getting some kind of proof of insurance for that time and they told a claim had never been submitted by the ambulance company, on the days of service only the hospital submitted a claim and all of the hospital bills were paid for.

Now for the question (sorry for the long drawn out story), how long does a company have to submit a claim for payment? I was hoping I could ask the OC to recall the accounts and have the OC submit the claim, but if the time limit has expired, is there anything I can do about having the accounts removed from my CR, seeings how they never submitted a claim? I really don't want to wait for them to fall off, it still another 2 yrs before the last one will fall off. And, I certainly do not want to pay them, considering I was insured.

I'm really at a loss right now as to what to do, 9 collections is a lot and have really impacted my score.

Thanks for taking a look!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Bills/Insurance and Collections

@Anonymous wrote:

In 2009, I was out of state (NC) during which time I had numerous hospital visits via ambulance (uncontrolled epilepsy) thankfully I was insured, both hospital and ambulance were given my insurance card and info. After a few months we decided we were going to stay and move everything from NJ, not once did I ever receive a bill for anything. Fastforward 5 years, I pulled all of my CR's, when I decided to get serious about my credit and score, and what I found were 9 collection accounts from the ambulance company, again never did I receive a bill from them and I'm sure by the time it went to collections I was already in the new house. I sent a DV letter and they sent back a computer generated "itemized" print out or at least that is what they are calling it. I called the insuance company that I was insured by at the time to see about getting some kind of proof of insurance for that time and they told a claim had never been submitted by the ambulance company, on the days of service only the hospital submitted a claim and all of the hospital bills were paid for.

Now for the question (sorry for the long drawn out story), how long does a company have to submit a claim for payment? 1 year, what you have stated with the amb company is their problem I would send them an ITS (intent to sue) letter for their negligence in not submitting the claim on time and you will settle with the bill being erased.I was hoping I could ask the OC to recall the accounts and have the OC submit the claim, but if the time limit has expired, is there anything I can do about having the accounts removed from my CR, seeings how they never submitted a claim? I really don't want to wait for them to fall off, it still another 2 yrs before the last one will fall off. And, I certainly do not want to pay them, considering I was insured.

I'm really at a loss right now as to what to do, 9 collections is a lot and have really impacted my score.

For the ones you actually owe a copay or deductible on

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now for the question (sorry for the long drawn out story), how long does a company have to submit a claim for payment? 1 year, what you have stated with the amb company is their problem I would send them an ITS (intent to sue) letter for their negligence in not submitting the claim on time and you will settle with the bill being erased. Who would I be sending an ITS letter to, all accounts are now with a CA and can I find an example letter of an ITS here on myFico??I was hoping I could ask the OC to recall the accounts and have the OC submit the claim, but if the time limit has expired, is there anything I can do about having the accounts removed from my CR, seeings how they never submitted a claim? I really don't want to wait for them to fall off, it still another 2 yrs before the last one will fall off. And, I certainly do not want to pay them, considering I was insured.

For the ones you actually owe a copay or deductible on- I actually do not owe anything, I was 100% covered for all of it.

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help- This confuses me, I have googled this before and I couldn't make any sense of it, but I know you can not speak of the process on the boards.

Thank you for some direction!!

Message 3 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The ITS letter is pretty simple to write, it should be short and to the point. Here is a general example of one

http://www.sophisticatededge.com/letter-of-intent-to-sue-free-template.html

If those other collections are the same as the ambulance company in failing to submit their claim then they too should get an ITS letter if they were paid by insurance I would write them a GW letter indicating they were paid by insurance and please remove the paid collection mark..

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

I saw your thread on the ITS letter that you started and removed it. Please dont post multi threads on same subject it leads to confusion by the members, Thanks for your understanding.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of the accounts are w the same CA, Credit Financial, all of the accounts are for ambulance transport. None of the ambulance rides were paid for bc they never submitted a claim. You would send an ITS to the CA?
Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
All of the accounts are w the same CA, Credit Financial, all of the accounts are for ambulance transport. None of the ambulance rides were paid for bc they never submitted a claim. You would send an ITS to the CA?

Ok, the ITS letter needs to go to the  ambulance company with demand to recall their collectors and wipe out the bill(s) They have not sold the debt they still own it if they are saying they sold it that is BS, Research the actual HIPAA law on this. Each company has a fiduciary responsibility to submit bills on time to your insurance company if they didnt have the insurance info then they should have made all efforts to contact you to get the information. IMO this is negligence by the ambulance company. You might want to get an actual legal opinion before proceeding with anything here.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay- I'm understanding this a little bit more now, sorry this is all new to me. When sending the ITS letter to the OC would I also send proof of insurance coverage for that time period?
Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay- I'm understanding this a little bit more now, sorry this is all new to me. When sending the ITS letter to the OC would I also send proof of insurance coverage for that time period?

I would gives credence to your claim.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay- thank you for your help!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.