Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bills... where to start?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Bills... where to start?

I'm looking for advice on how to rebuild/repair mine and my wife's credit. The issue is mostly medical bills that have gone to collections, and others that most likely will if I don't pay them. Bills total in the 10k range. I honestly don't know where to start, there are maybe 15-20 bills, some are small some are not, some are in collections some are not. I've read so many opinions on how to pay them or negotiate them.. some say pay some say don't. Some say send letters, some say over the phone. I've looked into credit counseling or 'repair' companies but I don't trust any simply because I just have no idea what I'm doing. Our scores are between 500-560, we need to get to 580+ for FHA loan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

NR

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Bills... where to start?

I would start with pulling a copy of both of your credit reports to get an actual number and figure out a budget and timeline.

How old are the oldest bills?  Some may be due to fall off.

Are you able to pay them off but need more time?  I think the red flag is you say "and others that most likely will if I don't pay them".  How come you're not paying them to begin with? 

The last thing you want to do is try to start the repair process and make progress, only to have new collections added.

Or is your only goal to get to 580 to try and be approved for an FHA loan?

Whatever your goal is, there are plenty of smart people on this forum who can guide you with excellent advice.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can list the dates they went delinquent and the amounts per bill also call the OC and ask if you qualify for charity care. Google the HIPAA Letter Process and follow it exactly as laid out. If you have problems finding the website or any questions PM me.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. The reason they are not paid is because we did not have the money. We do have it now, but we don't exactly have unlimited money to just pay them all. I can probably pay all the past due and collection bills, and then make payments with any current ones. There are 5 total on my report that are in collections. I was just unsure if I should pay the collection agancies or the original creditor. Should I negotiate an amount? The goal is to buy a house and stop renting and of course rebuild credit in general. I don't think I would qualify for charity care, we make 90k/year. I'm not familiar with the HIPAA letter, but I will google it tonight. Hope I answered all the questions, please keep them coming and thank you all!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the replies. The reason they are not paid is because we did not have the money. We do have it now, but we don't exactly have unlimited money to just pay them all. I can probably pay all the past due and collection bills, and then make payments with any current ones. There are 5 total on my report that are in collections. I was just unsure if I should pay the collection agancies or the original creditor. Should I negotiate an amount? The goal is to buy a house and stop renting and of course rebuild credit in general. I don't think I would qualify for charity care, we make 90k/year. I'm not familiar with the HIPAA letter, but I will google it tonight. Hope I answered all the questions, please keep them coming and thank you all!

I would recommend paying off the ones which have not reporting yet to you credit report contact the CA and offer to pay in exchange for their not reporting.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.