Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bills $$$

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Bills $$$

Hi, I'm new to the boards here. I searched for an answer to my question but couldn't find anything so I figured there would be someone who could help me.

In August 2009 I had twin boys, one had a heart defect and stayed in the hospital for the majority of his life so as you can imagine we have bookoos of medical bills. He passed away July 2010. I'm still responsible for his bills right? They always seemed they didn't add up right because he had insurance and then had medicaid for the last few months of his life. I know with insurance there is a deductable but I still have a $24,000 bill on my credit. Where should I start with this because I have about 20 collection accounts on my credit and they are all from the hospital. I am no longer with his father and I'm pretty sure there is nothing on his credit... I am attempting to clean my credit up to buy a house soon so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
montana586
Regular Contributor

Re: Medical Bills $$$

First off let me say im sorry for your loss second i think if i were you i would talk to someone at the hospital in there administration about this matter and try to ask for a goodwill if anyone ever had a reason for goodwill on debt its definitely your situation . if they wont do good will with you see if they will offer u some type of payment plan thats affordable check and see if there is any patient assistance programs as well hope this helps a little bit

Starting Score: 675EQ 698 TU
Current Score: 698TU 675EQ
Goal Score: 720+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

EQ fico 675
Trans Fico 698
EX662
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@montana586 wrote:

First off let me say im sorry for your loss second i think if i were you i would talk to someone at the hospital in there administration about this matter and try to ask for a goodwill if anyone ever had a reason for goodwill on debt its definitely your situation . if they wont do good will with you see if they will offer u some type of payment plan thats affordable check and see if there is any patient assistance programs as well hope this helps a little bit

I tried contacting someone earlier last year about my accounts but the lady didn't seem like she wanted to help at all... I'm afraid they never filed everything correctly under his insurance and medicaid. When they were born it was a big issue with which baby was baby a and baby b... The hospital is 45 mins away and I don't really have free time to go down there and no one will take the time to correct what was already filed over the phone or email. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and to boot, they are taking my state taxes every year because it is a state hospital so I have some accounts paid already. 

Message 4 of 6
beb86
Valued Contributor

I can not even imagine going through this tragedy and then have to end up with this mess of a bills as a constant reminder...but I would contact the hospital administrator and try to get this worked out....Bring your copy's along with your insurance and the Medicaid info and hopefully the can put this to rest once and for all...

Message 5 of 6
jadeite788
Established Contributor

Try a certified medical auditor, they specialize in medical billing and may negotiate better terms for you.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.