cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bills

tag
Gardenhands

Medical Bills

Hello, I know this topic is a common one. Ive been reading some older threads and I understand there are different strategys for taking care of these types of debts. I'm in the beginning stages of trying to build credit. I have no credit score at this moment but Im trying to get a couple secured credit cards. I'm thinking its a good idea to take care of some medical bills so I can move forward with my build...

I have three local hospitals and I owe each of them money. Additionally each hospitals doctors get paid separately. Who knew... 

Hospital A) the bill is from 2014. I made payment arrangements with the outsourced payment recovery company. I don't believe it's a collection agency. I was told by the hospital and the company that if the outsourced company can not collect the bill then it will be returned to the hospital and then the hospital will send it to a collection agency.

i made an initial payment and set up payments for the 300 dollar balance. 

Hospital B) the bills are from two visits during the summer of 2013. I talked with a lady in the billing department and she said that the hospital would not send the bill to a collection agency. They don't do that there. She was real easy going and basically said if I ever decide I want to pay it then give them a call back but they would not pursue the bill.

Hospital C) the bill is from a visit in March 2013. They sold the account to a collection agency. The bill is for 135 dollars. I dont believe it's on my credit report. According to a lending agent who recently ran my credit I have nothing newer then 2008 on my report except for some recent inquirys. I called the collection agency to attempt to pay it. They said it is on my credit report as of July 2013 and if I pay it it will be marked as payed.  I asked about a pay for delete and they said I had to pay it and then send them a letter asking for it to be removed. The conversation started getting ugly towards the end.  

Doctors A) from 2014. I made payment arrangements for 25 dollars per month. The bill is for about 400 dollars. The bill is recent so its not at a collection agency and they said as long as I make the payments it won't go to one.

Doctors B) from summer 2014. There were two hospital visits but the physician group could only see one bill for the doctors group for 125 dollars. They sold it to a collection agency and I left a message for them. I'm waiting to get a call back.

Doctors C) from summer 2014 for 140 dollars. This is in a collection agency. I left a message and I'm waiting to here back from them.

So yeah there are three hospitals and three groups of doctors. I am able to pay them off but with building credit in mind I want to make sure I do it the best possible way. As for hospital/doctors A, that's recent and the payment arrangements have been made so that's pretty much taken care of. Hospital B says they won't report me or send me to a collection so I'm not concerned about them to much although they are being cool about it which makes me want to make it right. Now Doctors B on the other hand is in collection. 

my question is, what's the best way to handle these debts once the reach the collection agency? The amounts are minute but I don't want to pay them and have them on my report if there is a better way to do it. I'm focused on the long term for my credit goals but if I can get on track earlier the better. Any thoughts or insight on paying my medicals the best way would be appreciated. Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Bills

HIPAA Process for all things medical. You can google it

Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Gardenhands wrote:

Hello, I know this topic is a common one. Ive been reading some older threads and I understand there are different strategys for taking care of these types of debts. I'm in the beginning stages of trying to build credit. I have no credit score at this moment but Im trying to get a couple secured credit cards. I'm thinking its a good idea to take care of some medical bills so I can move forward with my build...

I have three local hospitals and I owe each of them money. Additionally each hospitals doctors get paid separately. Who knew... 

Hospital A) the bill is from 2014. I made payment arrangements with the outsourced payment recovery company. I don't believe it's a collection agency. I was told by the hospital and the company that if the outsourced company can not collect the bill then it will be returned to the hospital and then the hospital will send it to a collection agency.

i made an initial payment and set up payments for the 300 dollar balance. 

Hospital B) the bills are from two visits during the summer of 2013. I talked with a lady in the billing department and she said that the hospital would not send the bill to a collection agency. They don't do that there. She was real easy going and basically said if I ever decide I want to pay it then give them a call back but they would not pursue the bill.

Hospital C) the bill is from a visit in March 2013. They sold the account to a collection agency. The bill is for 135 dollars. I dont believe it's on my credit report. According to a lending agent who recently ran my credit I have nothing newer then 2008 on my report except for some recent inquirys. I called the collection agency to attempt to pay it. They said it is on my credit report as of July 2013 and if I pay it it will be marked as payed.  I asked about a pay for delete and they said I had to pay it and then send them a letter asking for it to be removed. The conversation started getting ugly towards the end.  

Doctors A) from 2014. I made payment arrangements for 25 dollars per month. The bill is for about 400 dollars. The bill is recent so its not at a collection agency and they said as long as I make the payments it won't go to one.

Doctors B) from summer 2014. There were two hospital visits but the physician group could only see one bill for the doctors group for 125 dollars. They sold it to a collection agency and I left a message for them. I'm waiting to get a call back.

Doctors C) from summer 2014 for 140 dollars. This is in a collection agency. I left a message and I'm waiting to here back from them.

So yeah there are three hospitals and three groups of doctors. I am able to pay them off but with building credit in mind I want to make sure I do it the best possible way. As for hospital/doctors A, that's recent and the payment arrangements have been made so that's pretty much taken care of. Hospital B says they won't report me or send me to a collection so I'm not concerned about them to much although they are being cool about it which makes me want to make it right. Now Doctors B on the other hand is in collection. 

my question is, what's the best way to handle these debts once the reach the collection agency? The amounts are minute but I don't want to pay them and have them on my report if there is a better way to do it. I'm focused on the long term for my credit goals but if I can get on track earlier the better. Any thoughts or insight on paying my medicals the best way would be appreciated. Thank you

You can pay the CAs in exchange for not reporting.

Have you talked to the OCs about some financial assistance that could possible wipe out the debt entirely?

Message 3 of 4
Gardenhands

I have applied for financial aid for the older ones. At the time I was making pretty decent money but they still discounted the rate. one of the visits was at a time that I did have insurance but I failed to pay the copayment. The most recent trip this year was after I switched to my new job, which is better long term but the pay starts out significantly less then I was making plus I wasn't eligible for insurance yet. But they did discount the hospital bills. The physicians wouldn't honor the discount and told me to apply for Medicare which I know I wouldn't be eligible for.

Now I have good bennifits in a secure job. I know I made the right career move and I'm currently in a position where I am able to pay my medical bills which are my only debts. I'm thinking to let the oldest ones drop off since they are from 2008 and older. The most recent ones I'm making payments on so they arent heading to collections. It's just the couple from 2013. I did pay the one off to the collection agency. I have one more in collections that needs to be handled. 

i guess my plan is to let the oldest ones drop off, pay the recent ones that are in good standings and the two that went to collection I will pay in full and then send good will letters asking to be removed. If that doesn't work hopefully I can still do the hippa thing. The two together are like 250 dollars. I can afford it right now and I just want to move forward and start a positive track record.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.