Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical CA - OC doesn't have any record of debt

tag
426MW
New Contributor

Medical CA - OC doesn't have any record of debt

I have a medical collection for a whoppinig $40 on EQ.  I tried to back door the CA and call the OC since they never responded to several settlement letters.  After 45 minutes on the phone with the OC they have NO record of the debt.  I asked how the CA got the debt and was told it was issued to them.  This was verified with a DV letter from the CA.  Is my next step an MOV letter?  I would like to pay it and be done with it but I have never had any settlement response from them.

Starting Score: EQ 553 - TU 569 8-24-12
1-4-13 Scores: EQ 645 - TU 675
3-25-13 Lender pull EQ 646 - TU 687 - EX 647
Goal Score: 700 Across the board before 6-13

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Medical CA - OC doesn't have any record of debt

The debt collector is required to have "obtained" verification.  The statute does not define the procedures.

They could quite possibly have their own records that they consider adequate to verify the debt.  The fact that the OC no longer retains records does not, per se, mean that the debt collector cannot verify the debt.

When providing debt verification, they are not required under FDCPA 809(b) to provide supporting documentation, so you have no way under the DV process itself to challenge the actual accuracy of their statement that they have obtained verification.  To compel documentation of their verification requires getting the matter before a judge.

The method of verification (MOV) process applies only to requests sent to a CRA relating to the procedures they used in their reinvestigation of a dispute.

There is no requrement under either the FCRA or FDCPA that a debt collector provide the method of their verification of a debt.

Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It's a small amount, have you tried a PFD with the CA?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
426MW
New Contributor

I have tried PFD and other communication.  The only thing they answered is a DV letter from November.  I have made multiple attempts to reach a settlement for the FULL amount (HA!) and they refuse to return phone calls and such.

Starting Score: EQ 553 - TU 569 8-24-12
1-4-13 Scores: EQ 645 - TU 675
3-25-13 Lender pull EQ 646 - TU 687 - EX 647
Goal Score: 700 Across the board before 6-13

Message 4 of 5
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

I had the same situation for $35. I sent DV to CA, tried PFD, they refused, sent money order today. Now I will try GW. It was for a new collection that popped up. Hope I didn't do wrong by sending money. It was a valid debt of mine. Stupid co-pay doctor did not charge at my visit.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.