Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection - I Need Your Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collection - I Need Your Help

To try to make a long story shorter I have a medical collection on my Equifax report. It was showing $200 and Open.  I contacted the Original creditor who said they would contact the collection agency they listed it with (I think TRW in CA).  I assumed they would pull it back as there is no balance (I paid the balance they sent me over a year ago and it was less than $200 the amount listed on the collection).  

I decided to buy an Equifax report  yesterday and the collection is still on there but showing Closed and 0 balance.  I re-contacted the OC and the collections manager said they cannot get the CA to remove the collection, they can only get them to show it closed with 0 balance.

I need to get it off but before I respond to the OC I need to know if there are any specific questions I need to ask?  One question I want to know is if (1) the CA now owns that account although the OC is not owed any funds (2) what can the CA hope to get from an account that is not owed any more?  I suppose I need to contact the CA about removal but I want to have my ducks in a row first.  I'm also thinking about getting Lexington Law to work on it but it is the only derogatory on my report that is two years old and I don't want to pay them a lot of money for one thing. It might also be best to leave it alone but I want it gone if possible.

I might also mention that this account is not an erroneous account (the amount is not correct) but the account itself fell thru the cracks when my attorney's office paid all medical bills for my accident.  I was hospitalized for one year and not conscious for five of those months so I was not aware of hundreds of medical bills.  The gave me an accounting of all medical bills that were paid (over 1.2 million dollars). When I found out about this one I contacted the OC and paid them as I have with a couple others.  All others that I paid were removed so this is the last one that is on my report.  I have had a couple pop up that aren't on my report but they sent notices so I pay them. It's easier than fighting them.

Anyone have any ideas how to handle this collection and what questions to ask?  The OC has been responsive and helpful but I am not understanding why they can get the Collection Agency to change the info but not get them to remove it.

Should my efforts be toward dealing with the Collection Agency, the CRA , the OC or all three?

Please recommend what my next steps should be?  Thanks for your input.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Medical Collection - I Need Your Help

Never assume that paying a collection will lead to removal.

Don't overlook the Rebuilding subforum.  For medical items, Google whychat's HIPAA method and see if it would help.

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone have any ideas how to handle this collection and what questions to ask?  The OC has been responsive and helpful but I am not understanding why they can get the Collection Agency to change the info but not get them to remove it. 

They can but not all will and they're not obligated to remove valid information.  Generally you want to negoatite a pay for delete before paying as you have a bit more leverage.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid it almost a year before I knew it was there.  I'll keep plugging along and see what happens.  I suppose the worst case scenario is that It will stay on my report as closed and paid.  

Thanks for your input.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The OC did not report the collection, and thus has no authority to delete the reporting,  They can only, if they choose, request the debt collectot to delete.

The CRA does not support such deletions.  They are in business to sell credit reports to others, and the value of the credit reports they sell depends upon their generally being complete.  Thus, the CRAs have a vested business interest in maintaining prior histories, including the fact that a debt was placed for collection, in credit reports.

They have a policy, reflected in their credit reporting manual and credit reporting agreements, instructing debt collectors not to delete based on payment of the debt.

You are at the mercy of voluntary good-will deletion by the debt collector.

If first attempts have failed, perhaps contacting someone in their management may find a more sympathetic ear with the authority to grant an exception fo their normal non-deletion policy.

Message 4 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I paid it almost a year before I knew it was there.  I'll keep plugging along and see what happens.  I suppose the worst case scenario is that It will stay on my report as closed and paid.  

Thanks for your input.

This is good general thinking.  Most people would be glad to just let something fall off and never pay the debt. At least you don't owe that lender anymore, and it is still seen on the report as paid until it does fall off vs an outstanding debt that you haven't done anything with.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your input.

This is good general thinking.  Most people would be glad to just let something fall off and never pay the debt. At least you don't owe that lender anymore, and it is still seen on the report as paid until it does fall off vs an outstanding debt that you haven't done anything with.

Thanks for those thoughts.

Message 6 of 7
Bone35
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

To try to make a long story shorter I have a medical collection on my Equifax report. It was showing $200 and Open.  I contacted the Original creditor who said they would contact the collection agency they listed it with (I think TRW in CA).  I assumed they would pull it back as there is no balance (I paid the balance they sent me over a year ago and it was less than $200 the amount listed on the collection).  

I decided to buy an Equifax report  yesterday and the collection is still on there but showing Closed and 0 balance.  I re-contacted the OC and the collections manager said they cannot get the CA to remove the collection, they can only get them to show it closed with 0 balance.

I need to get it off but before I respond to the OC I need to know if there are any specific questions I need to ask?  One question I want to know is if (1) the CA now owns that account although the OC is not owed any funds (2) what can the CA hope to get from an account that is not owed any more?  I suppose I need to contact the CA about removal but I want to have my ducks in a row first.  I'm also thinking about getting Lexington Law to work on it but it is the only derogatory on my report that is two years old and I don't want to pay them a lot of money for one thing. It might also be best to leave it alone but I want it gone if possible.

I might also mention that this account is not an erroneous account (the amount is not correct) but the account itself fell thru the cracks when my attorney's office paid all medical bills for my accident.  I was hospitalized for one year and not conscious for five of those months so I was not aware of hundreds of medical bills.  The gave me an accounting of all medical bills that were paid (over 1.2 million dollars). When I found out about this one I contacted the OC and paid them as I have with a couple others.  All others that I paid were removed so this is the last one that is on my report.  I have had a couple pop up that aren't on my report but they sent notices so I pay them. It's easier than fighting them.

Should my efforts be toward dealing with the Collection Agency, the CRA , the OC or all three?

Please recommend what my next steps should be?  Thanks for your input.

Hi River,

There is hope.....Please look up WHYCHAT's info on the "OTHER" credit forum..lol Smiley Happy

So much info on there to help you with your rights. Post your issue and you will be guided on how to take care of it.

I think your in a good position to get this taken care of, but unfortunately speaking of it on here is frowned upon..lol

Good luck! 

Post updates!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.