cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection Mysteriously Disappeared From Credit Report??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collection Mysteriously Disappeared From Credit Report??

Here’s the deal, I’m in the process of rebuilding my credit and working with collection agencies to resolve negative information on my credit report.  I pulled my free report in April and noticed a medical collection that hadn’t been paid.  I sent the CA a VOD letter, to which they responded.  I then sent them a PFD letter, to which they rejected.  So far I’m batting "zero" right?  Then I pulled my report yesterday following a dispute I filed when I got my free report and noticed the medical collection account has mysteriously disappeared!  The account is only 2 years old so I know it didn’t fall off because of the SOL.  Also, I never disputed the account with the credit bureaus.  Any ideas on how/why this happened?  Has anyone ever heard of something like this?  I’m not sure if I should be jumping for joy or worried.  I don't want to make any phone calls to the CA or OC and trigger something that should be left alone.  Any insight would be great! 

BTW, after the collection dropped off I also noticed my score increased by 44 pts.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collection Mysteriously Disappeared From Credit Report??

I had the same four medical collections mysteriously fall off my Transunion and Equifax reports, unfortunatly they are still showing on Experian. I am just like you, no need to stir up any not needed attention. although it would be nice if they would be gone from Experian also

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to see Im not the only one this has happened to!  Lucky for me the collection actually fell off all 3 of my reports.  The biggest reason I was so shocked is because when I checked my free reports it was showing that the CA was my updating my "recent balance" every month, up to and including the month before it disappeared.  Im going to leave it alone and see what happens.  My goal when I started this journey was to get things removed from my report, not added back on.  Besides, it was only a small amount so I can't see them taking legal action (hopefully).  Still I'm curious what prompted the removal.

Message 3 of 11
2NE1
Established Contributor

I've seen (well read) stories of people getting sued for $25/$50 bucks! so if it's still within SOL I'd be worried! If it's been deleted, they cannot reinsert the info without giving you notice. If you own this debt you should try to pay it to the OC (Hospital, etc). Just because it's gone doesn't mean it won't creep up on your reports again. Also it's better to deal with the OC for payment cause it'll prevent the CA from reporting back to your reports via HIPAA process.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, really??  I wouldn't think they would go thru the time, effort and money to file a judgment on such a small amount as 25 or $50.  Mine was just over $100.  Would you say the fact it just disappeared is a sign they might pursue further action?  It sounds crazy to me but like I said it seems quite strange that it was removed without me doing anything.  Also, would you be able to give me more insight on the HIPPA process?  This is all new to me.

Message 5 of 11
bbrannan
Regular Contributor

Just wondering - what was the name of the CA that was reporting?
Cards: AMEX Zync NPSL, AMEX BCE, NFCU LOC $15K, NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $14K, NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $14K, USAA Platinum M/C $3.5K, USAA AMEX $2K, Capital One Cash Rewards $3.5K, WalMart $10K, Lowes $10K, Home Depot $8250, Amazon $4K, Discover IT $1K

Starting Score: EX: 570 EQ: 520 TU 602
Current Score: AMEX EX:717 MyFico EQ 688 Walmart TU 749 MyFico TU 740
Goal Score: 750+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you had similar experiences with certain CA's?

Message 7 of 11
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, really??  I wouldn't think they would go thru the time, effort and money to file a judgment on such a small amount as 25 or $50.  Mine was just over $100.  Would you say the fact it just disappeared is a sign they might pursue further action?  It sounds crazy to me but like I said it seems quite strange that it was removed without me doing anything.  Also, would you be able to give me more insight on the HIPPA process?  This is all new to me.

It depends on the contract.  If the contract had attorney's fees and costs in it then the attorney that is going after you isnt concerned about the total amount of the debt.  (There are some jurisdictions that you maybe able to limit attorney fees, if the fee is unreasonable.  But they will still be able to collect much more than the $25 that is owed)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 8 of 11
bbrannan
Regular Contributor

Yes. I had a collection from a CA name STANIS on my TU. I had typed up a DV letter to send them and before I could get it mailed out, it deleted from my TU report entirely. No dispute, no letters, no nothing. It just deleted. And the original date on the debt was 2006, so even though the SOL had expired, it was still too soon to just "fall off" - or at least that is what I thought. I have been watching to see if it pops back up somewhere but so far, nothing...and I am not about to write or call them to ask what happened! So, anyway, I was just wondering if that was the same CA that disappeared for you.

Cards: AMEX Zync NPSL, AMEX BCE, NFCU LOC $15K, NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $14K, NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $14K, USAA Platinum M/C $3.5K, USAA AMEX $2K, Capital One Cash Rewards $3.5K, WalMart $10K, Lowes $10K, Home Depot $8250, Amazon $4K, Discover IT $1K

Starting Score: EX: 570 EQ: 520 TU 602
Current Score: AMEX EX:717 MyFico EQ 688 Walmart TU 749 MyFico TU 740
Goal Score: 750+ across the board

Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If a party deletes information that was not compelled by lack of verification in a dispute, they can reinsert without any special provisions or CRA requirement to provide notice to the consumer.  It would be the same as any normal reporting.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.