cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection NOT Reporting to CRAs?

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Medical Collection NOT Reporting to CRAs?

My financially illiterate little brother has a relatively small (<$400) unpaid medical bill that went into collections several months ago. He says the clinic told him that the debt collection company they send unpaid bills to does not report to CRAs. I thought he surely misheard but I checked all his credit reports and sure enough there are no derogatory marks or evidence of a collection and it's been almost 6 months.

I was thinking of paying this off for him as a birthday gift of sorts, but if it's not reporting to CRAs is there even any point from a financial/credit score standpoint?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Medical Collection NOT Reporting to CRAs?

That CA may sell the debt, to another CA that does report.

In my experience, it doesn't help paying a CA for a family member, they need to learn responsibility. This is a teachable moment.

My DS for example...If I paid his small debt with the CA. He would get a CC and max it out, then I would have more problems.

I understand, I thought about it myself. My heart saying to pay it, but my head is saying no. Tough love is hard.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collection NOT Reporting to CRAs?

I'm not sure it has to do with the CA.  I had to bill, regarding the same event with my daughter, slip under the radar and not get paid.  They ended up with the same CA (2 different medical offices) and only one of them was reported.  They have since been paid and I'm hoping for a GW removal on that one, but I never did learn why the second one didn't show up, I was just really glad it didn't.

Other then that, I agree with the not paying it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.