Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection - Not patient responsbility; how to remove

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collection - Not patient responsbility; how to remove

Greeting,

I have ready through the archives and seen several references to the HIPPA process, but none are the same as my situation.

I had medical services performed in 12/07.  There were several mix us in the billing process, insurance claims that the claim was not filed timely by the OC and the OC claims they did.

While my wife was "handling it" it was sent to collections and put on my credit report.  I got involved in 4/09 when I saw it on my credit report.

Working with the CA I was told to get an Explanation of Bendifts (EOB) from my insuance that shows I am not responsible and they would remove the mark.  I obtained an EOB and it did show I am not responsible.  After several months of the CA "losing" the faxing with the EOB that show zero patient responsibilty and new people coming and going at the CA I am now being told they are taking another process, e.g. starting the who did what to who discussion that whet nowhere and resulting in the collection.  Obviously, I've had it with this run around.

Since I have an EOB that shows I have zero responsiblity can I use the HIPPA process and claim that this is an invalid account/charge or I am still legally responsible even though the insurance EOB states I have zero responsibility?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collection - Not patient responsbility; how to remove

Unfortunately, since you have been talking to the CA you forfeit your ability to use HIPAA.  During the whole process you deal only with the OC.  The Hipaa process is based on the supposed "FACT" that the OC violated your PHI rights by giving information over to the CA.  Based on that fact, the you provided all the information to the CA yourself.  In a nutshell: the Hipaa process allows you to tell someone that the OC told someone your private health information which violated your rights.  This is suppose to allow you to get the negative deleted from your report.  However, since you spoke wtih the CA - you gave them the right to have the information.

Google the following - Why chat  > this will take you to the entire process.  You may want to contact your insurance company and see if they have anyway to assist you with this process.  I ran into the same issue.  Insurance stated if the hospital would refile the insurance and show proof that the submitted it in a timely manner but with some errors - they would pay the bill. 

I am working on getting a medical collection deleted from my reports to.  So I hope this helps.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.