Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection, Paid OC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collection, Paid OC

I have a collection on my credit report related to a medical bill from a year and a half ago.  I was paying the OC regularly and made a payment for the final balance the same month that they apparently sent the debt to collection.

To reiterate, I have paid the full amount to the OC.  I recently sent the OC a GW explaining that I was moving at the time they claim they sent me a final notice that I never received.  This is 100% true, and we were losing mail for a couple of months after the move.

The OC responded to my GW today, stating that they were "sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you but we are not able to take the account back from the collection agency.  When an account with our office is sent to colelctions we add 40% on to the balance.  This amount $X is still outstanding with <collection agency>. You can pay the balance in full and the CA will provide a letter stating the account is paid that you can provide to the Credit Bureau."

I'm considering sending a DV but the fact is the debt was mine and I have settled it with the OC.  I want this off my report.  The collection is for less than $100 and I would gladly do a PFD but have previously called the agency and they refused.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Collection, Paid OC

Pretty crappy of the OC to have done this when you were making payments to them. I would escalate this to the office of the hospital admin and possibly even the BBB. Welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

These are the choices you have for unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.